TheBanyanTree: more Stories again

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue Sep 26 10:40:37 PDT 2006

> 	I'm beginning to feel like I should stop.  I need some feedback.

I thought musicians hated feedback.  BWAH HA HA.  I crack myself up
with these stupid jokes all day long.  Don't you wish you lived closer
and we could have coffee and I could drop these hilarious bon mots on
you left and right?  I was just checking my mail again, on the hopes
that something good would pop up, and there you were, needing feedback.
  And just when I needed a diversion from work I do not feel like doing
today.  Now I can look steadily at my screen, as if in deep thought,
while reading a story instead, and be highly entertained.

So, yes, I'm still reading your stories and laughing, crying, or
pondering, or just enjoying the absurdity of life and the randomness of
memory in general.  And I've been mentally dredging up all kinds of
stories of my own, too.  Funny, sad, or completely absurd memories show
up unasked.  I'm excellent at dredging things up.  I can tell you the
horridly embarrassing thing I did in fifth grade that haunts me.  Like
it was yesterday.  Or call to mind whole conversations in which, if
only I could go back 14 years, I would know, now, exactly what to say.
I have lost too many hours of my life to replaying
perfect-yet-forever-unspoken rejoinders.  Hours I could really use
back.  You should see the gray hairs which Tareva my hair lady covers
up with the creative use of color, may God bless and keep her until I'm
ready to go really gray.

Anyway, this is going somewhere, believe it or not.  I was talking to
my son Andy and dredging up old stories.  In particular on this day,
the college boyfriend, always good for a few laughs from the teen son.
I'm a regular poster child for What-Not-To-Do-at-16, and he finds great
humor in that.  Andy reminded me that the guy is now old and bald and
an evangelistic preacher in Mississippi.   (We found him on the web
once, complete with picture, and I nearly had a heart attack.) I said,
well, yes, but back then he was a ROCK STAR.  As soon as those last two
words left my mouth, and I caught the gleam in Andy's 16 year old eye,
I wished I'd left them unuttered.  Or at least toned them down to
simply "Rock Musician".  What can I say, I was into my story in a big
way.  He latched onto this story with gusto and began running around
the house saying, "He was a THTAR.  Gee, I wish I was a THTAR.  I've
never known a THTAR.  I wish I had a THTAR for a friend," and on and on
in this stupid, comical, something like Goofy-the-dog voice.  For days
he would add this to every sentence.  "Golly gee, if I were only a
THTAR."

So the lesson here is to keep sharing, because you never know what
memories you might provoke in some poor unsuspecting mother, who might
then utter ridiculous claims about being Really Something back in the
day, creating evil, giddy glee in her children.

And now, feedback dispensed, I have a story to read.

Julie