TheBanyanTree: Back2Back Bella Lunas

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Sep 8 13:12:25 PDT 2006

redd_clay at bellsouth.net writes:
Venue:   the deck

Environment:  cool, an occasional light breeze, enough light to thread a
needle outside at 9:30 pm
Venue here: a puddled gravel driveway, several hundred feet long, winding
through palmetto and pines..

Environment: walking the dogs down the driveway, stone dark at 8:30 P.M.,
just after a cloudburst. Thunder rumbling in the distance. An owl nearby, hooting
to another at the other end of the woods. Dark clouds parting, the moon
making silver linings.

I watched the same moon.  I actually watched it t wice this night. Once when
it rose, huge and golden just beyond the pasture, where the pine trees were
silhouetted in the light. The veils of Spanish Moss hanging from the branches
were as faint as smoke in the light breeze.Then, it was gone as the rains came.
I waited until there was a pause to go out.

The dogs cared for nothing but the smells and rustlings in the wet grass as
we negotiated the puddles. I listened, not only to the owl conversation, but to
the traffic on the highway a mile away, right down to a deep "thump-thump"
from someone's car radio going full blast bass.

The Sandhill Cranes, out in the tall grass of the pasture, sounded once or
twice, probably disturbed by a restless horse or roaming cat. Their young are
teenagers now, as tall as the parents, their sound a treble termelo.

There was a peace out there, a pause in Time. Nothing to think about but the
night, the moon, and the wet sand in  my shoes.

Came the whispered "lap-lap-lap" oif one of the dogs drinking from a puddle,
and a sniff-fest as they came upon a fat toad. Each dog left a noseprint on
the cold amphibian, who then lurched away into darkness like a drunk, unharmed.

The moonlight created pale shadows under  the pines and oaks. The moon,
itself, was replicated in each sparkling puddle. Half a dozen moons, some shattered
when the dogs ran and splashed through the water. It was not too dark, our
way being lighted by a moon in every puddle along the way. Until the clouds came
again, dark and heavy.The moon pulled back under the heavy cover and was
gone. Pale lightning lanced through the clouds, and it started to rain again. The
dogs and I raced back to the house, just in time for the next downpour.

NancyLee