TheBanyanTree: Just So Tire'd

Pam North pam.north at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 06:11:09 PDT 2006

It may be remembered that last August I drove to Hershey, Pennsylvania to
watch my son compete in the Hershey Track and Field competition.  Although
they flew him up there, he opted to ride back with me, and so, at the end of
the festivities, I arrived at his 'dorm' around ten o'clock at night to
retrieve him and his stuff.  Unfortunately, in my attempt to park close to
the curb (on the narrow drive), I hit a small protruding piece of concrete
*just right*, and was saddened when I heard the air 'WHOOSH' out of my right
front tire.

But!!  'I am woman hear me roar!', and I had no problem getting out in the
dark, looking for my spare (oh!  it's *under* the Jimmy!), figuring out how
to get it DOWN (so *that*'s what that little hole is for by the license
plate!), and changing the tire myself while I waited for my kid.  Which is
how I came to be sitting on the ground at eleven at night, with the Owner's
Manual and a flashlight, reading the instructions on changing a tire!

And though I *am* 'a woman, hear me roar!', I'm also a BRIGHT woman!!, and I
had just an easy of a time getting out of the way for the nice gentleman who
wandered by and offered to finish up for me!!  Which is how I came to be
driving south that night with an ugly spare (full-sized though!) on my car.

Once I got home, I decided that I needed a whole new set, and so I started a
worldwide search for the best price on tires for my SUV.  I found a site
with competitive prices, and I ordered four to be shipped to my house.  Once
I received them, I loaded them up and took them to a local tire dealership
to have them balanced and installed.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep the receipt, or the mileage on installation.

So when I came out of my house to go to work last Monday morning, I was
chagrined, though not totally surprised, to find I had a flat on the front
left tire.  Bummer!  When I had my oil changed last, the business that I'd
been going to regularly, failed to mention that I had no water or antifreeze
in my radiator, or that the tires they supposedly were rotating really also
needed to be aligned!  (I don't do business with them anymore!)

So, I realized it was necessary to find another set of tires.  I couldn't
even remember how many miles I was *supposed* to get on this last set - I'm
finding that I'm learning a LOT of lessons the hard way recently!

But I still know how to search the web, and so I found another set of
tires!  I noted the mileage warranty, and I had them shipped directly to
another tire business in town.  Because I wanted them YESTERDAY, I had them
shipped FedEx 2-Day delivery.  Note:  That means two *business* days, as in,
NO weekends, NO holidays, NO days of rest!!!!  I ordered them on a Friday,
and they were *finally* delivered on the following Wednesday!

Meanwhile, on that Monday in between, I called the tire place asking about
them.  And found out that a young lady I know relatively well, and whom my
daughter adores, works the counter there!  She assured me that she'd let me
know as soon as they were received.  And in case she forgot about me, I
called her again the next day!  I had tracked my order online, and the tires
appeared to be within a twenty mile radius, and certain to be delivered
shortly.

Jenna told me that they hadn't received any tires yet - she'd call when they
did.

And in less than half an hour, she called!  YIPPEE!!  She told me that
they'd install them as soon as I could get my car there!!!  Which is how I
came to be sitting in the waiting room, watching  my car up on the jack,
bare metal showing where bald tires used to sit... and then. Nothing!

Ummm... real bummer!  Turns out the tires they received...?? Well, they
weren't exactly MINE!!!!!  Oops!!  Yes, Jenna had made a mistake, but God
Bless her!!!, she did it in her enthusiasm to get me tires!!!  She knew I
was waiting on tires, and when she saw some delivered, she *immediately*
thought of me!!

But of course meanwhile, there was my car, tireless, and on jacks.  And I
just could NOT see putting the bald tires back on.  I suggested some kind of
financial deal where I could pay the difference for a set of their tires,
and just have something installed so I could leave.  Jenna didn't know how
to make that work in the computer though, so she ended up offering me her
vehicle.  She had another at home, a convenient ride after work, and no
desire to see the tires put back on either!

Which is how I came to be driving a 'loaner' Suburban for a day!  Hey!  I
didn't spend twenty years in the Marine Corps learning how to be flexible
for nothin'!!

Wednesday, my tires finally arrived!  I didn't have to do anything since my
vehicle was already there, though I did track the order again to find the
delivery time.  Perfect!  They'd be done installing about  the time I got
off of work!!  By *my* calculations!!

So, imagine my chagrin - and utter surprise! - to arrive and see my car,
still on jacks, still without tires!!  And I was just a tad disgruntled when
the owner came out and asked where my flat tire was!!!  (What!?!?!?!
Worried he won't get some money back on the bald rubber or something?!?!
Really!  For a couple of seconds, I just couldn't grasp why he would care
about the *other* bald tire!!!)

Oh.  See me blush with embarrassment!!

Blond moment!!!!!!

Guess that other tire *is* sort of important since it also houses the
RIM!!!!!!!!!  Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Which is how I came to be driving away from the tire place AGAIN!, in
Jenna's Suburban, with my car still on jacks!!!!!!!!

I retrieved the other tire, and delivered it back.  I am now the proud owner
of four brand new INSTALLED tires!!!  And I have a receipt for the tires,
AND the installation and ALIGNMENT with the mileage noted!!!!!

Sometimes, I just HATE to do things the easy way!!

Pam