TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 33

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Oct 21 07:49:54 PDT 2006

October 19, 200000000006

Dear citizenry of the tree,

	You know of course that on moving day, I fell backwards off a
counter top and bruised or broke my tail bone.  Did I tell you that?
So I sit here at my computer, crowded into my mother's office, and I
try not to sit straight on my tail.  In the meantime, I cannot send
mail out, but I am receiving it.  I decided to type up another life
story every day anyway.  The problem will get corrected on Friday the
20th when my computer expert hooks us all up to the DSL and gets us
off my mother's cable connection.  So many details of the move.  I
have yet to open some boxes and I have my fingers crossed as to
what's in it.  I need those checks from the joint account.  I need
that binder from the writing class I'm taking every Wednesday.  I
need my beeper.

	Beep this.

wjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjw

Bird's Nest

	Petey Marshall was Susie Marshall's big brother.  There was
Michael Marshall, then Petey, then Susie, in birth order.  Theirs was
a Catholic family, so either they weren't that religious, or they
just weren't that busy.  Only three kids.  What a scandal!  Michael
Marshall was too big for  me to fathom, but Petey was just a bunch of
years older than Susie, so he was visible to me.  He was a bad kid.
He defied his parents.  He swore.  He got into trouble.  He was the
kind of kid who would tie tin cans to a dog's tail, or soap some
neighbor's windows on Halloween.  In my mind, Petey was someone to
stay away from, someone not to get involved with, someone that would
ruin my safety.  But he was also a big kid (probably all of ten years
old) and endowed with the power and majesty that a person of those
years had earned.  He was dangerous.  I didn't know him well.  All I
knew were his legends, his bad behaviour, his stunts.  He once took
his flexi onto the ice on Colston Drive and sledded down the middle
of the street when a car was coming the other way.  He sledded right
under the car without getting hurt.  A miracle!  A bad miracle.  Did
he get in trouble?  I have no idea.

	One day, he was leading Susie and me around outside,
organizing an adventure that only he knew could exist.  He saw a
bird's nest up in a tree, one of the trees that stood between the
buildings in the apartment complex across Colston Drive from us.  It
was a young tree, having been planted when the apartment buildings
were planted, but it looked huge, tall, formidable to me.  Petey said
he saw a bird's nest in the tree and he was going to throw a rock at
it and knock it down.  I had no concept of the damage that would
cause the bird family.  I didn't quite comprehend the idea of a
bird's nest.  But I heard the squeak and chirping of the baby birds
waiting for their mother to land on the edge of their house and bring
them something delectable to eat.

	Petey looked at all us useless human beings and he searched
for a proper rock.  I was five years old, too young for this wicked
activity.  To prove that I was old enough to witness this, big enough
to matter, I stepped forward and volunteered to hold the tree for
him.  Was I keeping it from scuttling away?  I still find it a
mystery.  But that's what I did.  One hand on one side of the tree,
and the other on the other side, I steadied the tree.  Petey wound up
and threw his rock with a great grunt into the air.  I watched the
rock on its trajectory speed up into the air, higher, higher, then
slow down to a stop, momentarily motionless at the zenith of its arc,
then begin to come back down.  As I watched the rock descend, it got
bigger and bigger.  It was aiming straight for me.  The rock hit me
just at the side of my right eye, and my whole field of vision was
filled with blood.  I reached up to cover my eye, and when I removed
my hand, blood was all over it.  I started to cry.  And I made my way
back to my house while Petey ran off in another direction.  Susie
came with me as I walked carefully home.

	My mother took me to the doctor, and the doctor cleaned the
wound, and placed a big important band-aid over it.  I was taken home
to convalesce, an invalid, a statistic, a victim of the unsuccessful
war against the bird's nest.  Later that day, Petey Marshall came
over to visit me.  He proffered a bag of cookies that his mother had
made.  He apologized stiffly.

	I still have the scar to the right of my right eye, a little
crescent.  In kindergarten, I painted a picture of myself with a huge
wiry mess of swirling lines scribbled over my right eye.  I was
commemorating the injury.  I don't remember eating any of the cookies.

wjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjwjjw
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net