TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 34

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Oct 21 08:23:14 PDT 2006

October 20, 2000000000006

Dear Old Friends,

	Today is the fifteenth anniversary of the
Oakland/Berkeley Hills fire which destroyed my
house and everything in it that I didn't pack in
the car and cart away.  It feels odd being this
far away from the event.  It was such a turning
point in my life.  I don't even feel an ache now.
It was stuff.  And so much has happened since
that it just seems like another life story.

	Now hear this.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

An X

	When I was first away from home, going to
the University of Washington in Seattle, I
rejected staying in the dormitories, thinking of
them as a twenty four hour social affair, and not
wanting to have a room mate.  So my mother and I
travelled up to Seattle to find me room and
board.  We found a woman who rented out several
rooms in her house to college students.  She
lived near sorority, fraternity row, adjacent to
the campus.  Her roomers were all female.  She
had a basement with four rooms off of a central
hallway and each room went to a different young
woman.  Upstairs, she had more rooms that she
rented out.  I was never aware of the upstairs
crew, just of the ladies who rented rooms near
mine.  We all shared a single hot plate, and
there were a few pots to cook things in, plus a
few utensils.  It was less than minimum.  But it
would do nicely for a room first time away from
home.

	For board, we found a co-ed boarding
house on the corner, not far away from the
rooming house.  We signed up for this place
thinking good things, but when the quarter
started and I went to the boarding house for my
first dinner, I found out that I was the only
co-ed.  I felt like a goldfish in  a bowl without
a castle to hide in.  I ate one meal there, and
then disappeared to eat my meals exclusively at
the hot plate in the rooming house.  I would call
my mother and ask how she made those Italian
string beans.  I was almost helpless in a
kitchen.  I went shopping for parsnips and came
back with daikon radish.  It just didn't taste
right when it was done.  This is when I began to
learn how to cook.  Not very well.  But passable.
There was no oven and no toaster, no mixing
bowls, no collection of cooking tools.  So the
first five weeks, I lost a lot of weight eating
string beans and not much else.

	Then I discovered that Hillel was across
the alleyway from us, our houses back to back.
And I also discovered that Hillel held Tuesday
night socials at which they served tuna fish
sandwiches and doughnuts.  I'd go over to Hillel
on Wednesday morning and eat the leftover
sandwiches and doughnuts.  So the second  five
weeks I gained a lot of weight.  Doughnuts and
tuna fish sandwiches: a great diet, but not as
bad as some diets kept by kids away from home for
the first time.  I was lonely up in Seattle.  It
was not like Berkeley, where nothing was frowned
upon.  In Seattle, one had to wear the right
clothes, say the right things, know the local
routine, and fit in to the mold.  I did none of
that, so I was labelled as an outcast, which was
not unfamiliar to me.  Largely because I wore
sandals, I was, "The Beatnik from Berkeley".  I
made a few friends, but connected with the young
men who roomed across the alleyway, right next
door to Hillel.  I would go there and flirt with
them.  Well, them except for Ramsey Hill who was
a social predator, who knew how to select his
victims and tear them to shreds, make them cry
and wish they'd never come to Seattle to go to
school at the big U. Of W.  Ramsey had it in for
me and many a sharp comment sent me weeping back
to my stuffy little room in the rooming house.

	I was innocent, very gullible, and had no
street smarts.  I was used to a crazy family in
which bizarre behaviour was argued to be normal,
where what I saw as destructive abusive behaviour
was defended as being acceptable.  Where was the
fault to be assigned, then?  To the eye of the
beholder.  So I doubted my own perceptions of
what was crazy and what was sane.  This has
followed me throughout my life.  I always doubt
what it is I perceive.  It is the underlying
question that informs most of the short stories
that I have written.

	I was walking back to the rooming house,
my arms free of books.  I can't recall what my
errand was.  But I was about a block away from
home base when I noticed a car driving alongside
me, slowly following me.  It made me nervous.

	Then, the driver, a balding man wearing a
T-shirt and jeans, opened the window closest me
and shouted out, "Hey!  Hey!  Do you know where
Sigma Chi fraternity is?"

	I turned to face him.  I answered, "No.
I'm not a sorority girl or a fraternity boy.  I
don't know where it is.  But try a block over on
seventeenth.  That's where all the frat houses
are.  You might find it there."

	 He thanked me, but he kept tailing me.
"Hey!" he shouted, cheerfully, "I just swam the
lake."

	"Good for you," I said in return.  I quickened my pace.

	"Hey, can you do me a favour?"

	I stiffened.  "What?"

	"I'm rushing for the fraternity, and I
have to get someone to mark an X on my hip.  Will
you do it?"

	"Pick on someone else," I said, nervously, and kept walking.

	He leaned way over to shout out the
window.  "Oh, c'mon.  It'll just take a minute."

	Like an automaton, I responded, having no
excuses that I could tell, and not wanting to be
rude, no not ever to be rude, "Oh.  All right."

	I walked hesitantly over to the car, came
up to the window and received the pen he handed
me.  I wondered if I should mark his jeans with
an X.  And I was informed exactly what he wanted
me to do when he seized the waist of his jeans
and pulled them down past his thighs.  His penis
shot out, erect, from his groin.  I averted my
gaze.  Maybe he didn't know he was exposed.
Shaking inside, I reached over and marked an X on
his skin near the outside of his hip.  This
frightened me.  But I kept making excuses for
him.  Maybe men weren't embarrassed by things
like this.  Maybe this wasn't aberrant behaviour
after all.

	"Hey!" he called out.  "Will you mark my other hip?"

	My head reeled.  I was frightened, as I
should have been at the outset of this whole
episode.

	"Go pick on somebody else," I said, and
sped ahead, turned the corner and ducked in
between two buildings down the street from my
rooming house.  I went over what had happened,
and what scared me most was my inability to sense
the danger in his behaviour, how I made excuses
for him, and insisted that I be polite over all
other considerations, including my own safety.  I
rushed back to my room, curled up on my bed and
cried.  I couldn't trust anyone.  But it was
worse.  I couldn't trust myself.  I had no
judgment, no automatic warning device that would
save me from predators.  I kept on wanting to be
nice, well beyond the point of danger.  I
shivered.  I dared not call my mother.  She'd
just worry, and what I'd done was shameful.  I
kept it to myself.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA