TheBanyanTree: I get a pay rise

PJMoney pmon3694 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 29 01:20:09 PST 2006

When I have something to do that I really don't want to do I tend to pretend
that I don't have to do it and do something else instead until anxiety about
my procrastination overwhelms my anxiety about whatever it is that I have to
do and therein I find the motivation to go ahead and do what I should have
done in the first place without all the mucking around.  So it was that this
morning I played Solitaire when I should have been getting dressed.
Therefore I found myself ready to leave at the time I was supposed to arrive
and had to ring to announce that I would be late.

On arrival I continued to delay by noticing the new coffee-maker and asking
about it.  This resulted in a short conversation about how finely ground the
coffee must be for this machine and then an interesting look at the really
nice, glossy, well-made tins the coffee (Vittoria Arabica) comes in.  They
just invite speculation about what could be kept in them.

But then we had to get down to it so we sat at the table; him and her and
me.  He wondered if I had another case to put based on public service
administrative officer pay rates such as I had used when arguing that my pay
rate was too low.  I confessed that I had.  The fact is that I have no idea
what people in my sector of the IT industry get paid since the job
advertisements I've seen usually don't specify the salary with any precision
at all.  But public service pay rates are out there in the public domain and
I know that graduate entry positions all start at the AO4 level.  So I gave
them the hourly figure that I've worked out will put me into that bracket
and it was accepted, just like that.  I am now earning 50% more than I was
earning yesterday and I refuse to dwell on what it might mean that my
proposal was so quickly accepted.  Good enough is good enough and I am
content.

Janice