TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 74

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Nov 29 08:42:18 PST 2006

November 29, 2000000000006

Dear friends,

	So many of you wrote to me to tell me just what they thought
of villainman, the bicycle thief.  I thank you all for your empathy,
but I must stop short of much of the torture some of you suggested.
(Can you really DO that to someone's balls?)  Anyway, I wrote to my
lawyer about it, and he wrote a swift and burning letter to
villainman's lawyer.  The least that will happen is nothing, but
there's a good chance he'll have to buy them new bikes with all the
trimmings they put on them, bells, whistles, front wheel suspensions,
etc.  I'm still shaking my head.  How could he do that?

                                 vvv^^^vvv^^^vvv^^^vvv^^^vvv^^^vvv^^^vvv^^^vvv

Happi Coat

	My great uncle Max was working for Pan American Airways as a
mechanic when he was in his forties.  He was stationed on Guam with
his wife, Ethel, during all the preamble to World War Two.  A few
weeks prior to the United States' entry into the war, Pan American
sent word to the outpost on Guam that things were heating up in the
Pacific theater, and they should send all the women and children
home.  So Ethel returned to San Francisco leaving Max on Guam.

	Max was a Brodofky.  That's my mother's mother's family.  The
Brodfskys came with a number of built in traits.  They were worriers,
and that's the first trait.  Woe is to him or her who carries the
Brodofsky worrying gene.  I used to say that back in the old country,
which was Lithuania,  the Brodofskys used to hire themselves out as
surrogate worriers, since they were going to worry anyway, and why
not make a living at it.  Another famed trait of the Brodofskys was
that the men were all terribly devoted to their wives.  They doted on
them, waited on them, adored them conspicuously.  This was very true
of Max.  Ethel was loved prodigiously, reverently, completely.

	The day after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, the Japanese
captured Guam.  Many of the Pan American employees ran off into the
jungle to hide, but eventually they were all ferreted out and the
whole lot of them were shipped off as civilian prisoners of war to a
detention camp outside of Kobe, Japan.  That is where Max spent the
entirety of World War Two, holed up with his fellow employees,
starved to the bone, living on heavily censored letters from Ethel,
and friends and relatives Stateside.  When they were bored, they
fashioned mock engines out of scrap metal they melted down in a forge
they built in the camp.  The guards tormented the prisoners with
false news.

	"We bombed San Francisco."

	"You did?"

	"Yes, and we bombed San Diego, too."

	"But did you bomb the naval base in Denver?"

	"Yes, we bombed that, as well."

	For the whole war, Max was a prisoner, and when he returned
after the war, he was emaciated, beaten, heartbroken and demoralized.
But Ethel nursed him to health.  Fed him, loved him, listened to him.
He regained his weight and then some.  They resumed their lives.
Then in 1958, Ethel was stricken with bone cancer.  It ate her up
from the inside out.  There was nothing anyone could do.  She died in
1959, and Max was plunged into despair.

	After her death, he took on a challenge.  He returned to
Japan on a mission.  He kept a diary, and in it, he told of his
purpose in returning to the country that held him captive for four
years.  He returned to rid himself of his hatred of the Japanese.  He
couldn't tolerate the hatred in himself.  In his diary, on his return
trip, he wrote that his mission had been successful.  That was the
first of many trips to Japan.

	When I was thirteen, he returned from one of his trips with a
gift for me.  It was a silk brocade, "Happi Coat", like a short
Kimono, reversible.  On one side, it was a golden beige with floral
patterns, and on the other side, it was a copper colour with white
geometric patterns.  All hand made, utterly luxurious, and obviously
precious.  I remember feeling unworthy of it.  How could I, a
loathsome awkward teenager, filled with self hatred, possibly wear
such a valuable, beautiful article of clothing?  I hung it in my
closet, where it remained until I was in my twenties.  During my
clothes horse years, I used to don that Happi Coat as one important
layer in the many layered embroidered Asian robes that I wore on
festive occasions.  I wore it once to a family gathering at my
grandparents' house in San Francisco, and my great uncle Max, of
course, was there.  He saw me wearing the Happi Coat and smiled.

	"Oh!  So you DO like it!  I thought you didn't like it,
because you never wore it."

	"Oh no.  I've always loved it.  But I felt unworthy of it.
It's my favourite of all favourites."

	I took Max's Happi coat with me to New York on one of my
music business trips.  I stayed with the sister of a friend, who
lived in Soho in a loft.  It was a divided up warehouse.  Debbie
Bloom and her paramour, Chaz, lived there.  I unpacked and hung up
the coat in the front closet.  The night before I returned home to
Berkeley, I was talking about the history of the Happi Coat that was
hanging in the front closet.  I brought them both to look at it.  I
riffled through the clothing that was hanging on the rack, but I
couldn't find the coat.  Alarmed, thinking it missing, I went through
the clothing again, one at a time, carefully.  I came across it, but
saw why I had passed over it the first time.  It looked black.  I
checked the lighting, looked around me for some explanation.
Everything else appeared normal.  It was just the Happi Coat that was
black.  I examined it.  The side facing out was the beige side.  I
removed the coat from the rack and held it up.  It was black.

	"What colour is this?" I asked.

	"It's creamy," they said.  "Light tan with flowers."

	"It doesn't look black to you?"

	"No.  Are you putting us on?"

	"No.  It's black.  It's not black, but it looks black to me."

	I replaced the coat into the closet and wrote it off to my
weird life.  What you see may not be what you see.  Always doubt your
own eyes.  Then doubt them again.  An hour later, I checked on it and
it was beige again.  It must have been the lighting.  There had to be
some explanation.

	The next day, my mother picked me up at the airport.  I was
wearing the Happi Coat.  My mother sighed deeply, shrugged, and said,
"I suppose I should tell you that Uncle Max died last night."

	"When?" I asked.  She told me.  He had died at the precise
time I was showing the Happi Coat to Debbie and Chaz.  What you see

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net