TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 73

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Nov 28 08:40:47 PST 2006

November 28, 200000000000006

Dear You,

	So there were two bicycles padlocked to
the work bench in the garage at the house that
got sold.  It required Feyna to come by with her
keys to get them loosed and take them away.  We
made an arrangement with the realtors to come see
the house and collect the bicycles at the same
time.  There seems to be a problem, though.  The
bicycles disappeared.  The garage is bare.  Naked
of bicycles.  The realtors asked villainman if he
knew about this and he reported that he had the
bicycles carted off and donated to Goodwill.  He
claimed I'd been warned three times by my lawyers
to remove all goods or they would be disposed of.
Funny thing.  I wasn't notified even once.  And
it was common knowledge that we wanted to collect
the bicycles.  They belonged to Feyna and Meyshe.
Feyna in particular put a lot of work into her
bicycle.

	Wouldn't it have been the right thing to
do to tell me, or tell my lawyer if telling me
was too painful, that the bicycles were going to
be carted off.  And what right did he have to do
that?  A phone call.  He returned a box of
magazines to me.  I wasn't warned about the
magazines either.  Feyna and Meyshe are both very
upset.  Feyna says she's going to trace the
bicycle because it had identifying tags on it for
tracing it if it should get stolen, and she
considers this theft.  She wants to see the old
man in jail.  Meyshe just says he hates him, and
wants me to tell him.  Honestly, is there
anything else this man can do to alienate his own
children?  I'm sure he'll figure it out and do
it.  Can't leave any stone unturned.  I'm furious.

                             øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøø

An accident

	I was three years old, sitting in the
front seat of the car.  My mother was driving
through heavy bumper to bumper traffic in
Washington, D.C.  My sister was sitting in the
back seat amusing herself.  It was raining, and
it was already dark outside.  I don't remember
where we were going, nor why we were out and
about, but I do remember looking out the front
window as the houses passed by.  They were all
attached, one front door and stairs chock-a-block
with the next front door and stairs.  The windows
looked out identically onto the street.  This was
in the days before seat belts.  We all bounced
around inside the cars without anything to keep
us from shooting through the windshield in an
accident.  Those were perilous times, were they
not?

	I was watching the car in front of us,
the license plate with the little light above it,
shining down to illuminate the numbers and
letters.  Everywhere, the red brake lights were
reflected in the wet streets, and the white
headlights coming from the opposite direction
shone in our eyes, blinding us for instants at a
time.  The traffic lights hung out over the
intersections: Green, Orange, Red.  We were
creeping along in traffic.  Then the car in front
of us stopped fast, their brake lights flashing
bright red.  My mother stepped on the brakes, but
nothing happened.  We just kept moving forward,
and at five miles an hour smacked into a taxi cab
that was in front of us.  The impact threw me
forward off of my seat.  My forehead hit the
windshield and I felt the glass break.  All
around my head the sharp ripples of broken glass
spread out to the ends of the windshield, like
lightning.  After I hit the windshield, I was
thrust back to the seat and lay there crying.  My
mother scooped me up in her arms and turned
around to instruct my sister, in the back seat,
to follow her.  But Dana had fainted in the back
seat, and my mother had to put me down and tend
to her.  Dana woke up almost immediately and
began to howl.  So now, she had two screaming
children in the car.

	She took us both up the front stairs of a
brown stone house, and she rang the bell.  An
ancient woman came to the door and let us in.  It
was a dimly lit house with vast expanses of
Persian rugs spread out on the floor, their
elaborate patterns fascinating my eyes.  To the
right of the living room was a brightly lit
kitchen.  There was a telephone on the wall.  And
my mother called for help.  Soon, the firemen
came traipsing through the house and carried me
out to the ambulance.  My mother stayed with me,
and my sister, to her great delight, got to sit
on the fireman's lap in the front seat.  The
sirens shrieked and moaned and the lights flashed
bright in the darkness.  I saw the red and white
lights cast their beacons over the fronts of the
houses as we screeched through traffic.

	In the hospital, they took an X-ray of my
head.  I sat next to my mother, dazed and
dumbstruck.  The doctor put me up on a table and
pinned the X-ray up on the lighted box on the
wall.  Grown up things were said back and forth
between the grown ups.  I was unbroken and
released from the hospital.  I don't remember a
ride back home.  I don't know how we got home
because the car was out of commission.  Did we
take a taxi?  We were a one car family, so my
father couldn't have come to fetch us.  The rest
is just a blur.  But the old ladies in their
house with the Persian carpets remains vividly in
my mind.  My recovery was swift.  My mother says
there was something wrong with the car's brakes.
There was a struggle between the insurance
company and the automobile manufacturer.  That I
know from listening to my mother tell the story
from a grown up's vantage point.  To me, it was a
magical frightening evening full of lights and
sirens, strange people, broken glass and the hum
of the insides of a hospital.  The practical
matters were all taken care of by the adults.
They knew how to glue broken incidents back
together.

                             øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøø
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net