TheBanyanTree: Two Down, Two to Go

Russ Doden Russ at nogard4cd.com
Mon May 15 07:42:45 PDT 2006

Here commences the second of the continuing story of my
merryment at The Oklahoma Renaissance Festival, otherwise known
as The Castle.

The second of four weekends is now part of history.  I wasn't sure
what to expect when I got there Friday eve.  It has been horribly dry
in NE Oklahoma for months on end.  Lakes were so far below normal
that many boat docks have ended up on dry land.  Lake reports have
been reporting water levels many feel below normal.  Then the rains
started a few weeks ago - and it just kept raining.  The lakes are
filling up.  The first weekend was quite damp but not wet, but on
Monday storms hit the area where the festival is held with a
vengeance.  Over the last 3 weeks over 12 inches of rain has fallen!
Flood watches were the norm for a few days.  Watching the weather
radar during Monday through Wednesday made me expect a real
mud bog.

When I pulled into the camp ground that is available for the
artisans/cast/performers/crew on Friday night, things were really
quite dry!  I found out almost all the bad weather went either north or
south of the festival site.  Well, that means the grounds will be good.
Let the merriment begin.

After unloading my stuff into the first trailer and getting a bit to eat,  I
had to pull the old water pump for the kitchen sink.  Remember it had
broken last weekend?  It turns out that removing it only took a few
minutes.  I hope to get a new one this week.  Other than that, that
was the only work I had to do on my rolling yurt which made me quite
happy.  I was able to spend some time socializing with the other
residents of the campground.

Saturday dawned bright and clear.  A beautiful day for Faire.  They
have a tradition at this event, that over the Mothers Day weekend,
that the first 1,000 ladies through the gate each day get a flower -
usually a carnation.  It is a nice little thing, and it is fun seeing ladies
walking about carrying a flower.  Of course some of the
cast/performers end up getting these flowers over the course of the
day.  This weekend was no exception.  I ended up with several
flowers in my drinking tankard at one point.  Alas though, by days
end, I was "deflowered" having given them to other ladies, mostly
grand-mother types that and come in later in the day and looked like
a flower would cheer them up.  We had a nice group of ladies from
various chapters of the "Red Hat Society" to play with which are
always fun.

One thing about a bright sunny day at faire - one must wear "majyk
potion" - aka sunscreen.  Guess who forgot.  I now have a
sunburned nose and right hand.  Why my right and and not both
hands I don't really know unless it is that my left hand is more
protected when playing the guitar outside and my right hand is
exposed!    One feels sorry for many of the winsome lasses there
though who receive a severe "bodice burn."  Yes, there are many
ladies that are wearing garb that . . . shall we way pushes things up a
bit?  Guess what gets a sunburn?  One chap makes a wonderful
ointment that removes the pain of sunburn within minutes and keeps
the burn from getting worse.  He has one of the best jobs at faire
applying ointment to burned . . . cleavage.

Oh the crowds this Saturday.  It was a seething mass of humanity.  I
heard the next morning that there were something like 12,000
through the gate on Saturday.  That may not be a lot for some
events, but is a goodly number for this event.  People were
everywhere which makes for a lot of people to play with of course!
This was very noticeable at all of the entertainers stages.  Even
stages that get smaller crowds were busy.  The stage inside The
Castle, where the lads I perform with hold forth in the afternoon, was
packed.  We had never had so many people there for a show!  It was
great fun.  At the end of each of the two sets at that stage, it is my
task to sell the lads CD's.  I couldn't make change fast enough!
Between the two afternoon sets, we went through over 50 CD's
which is doing something - especially when they had only planned on
selling maybe 60 over the weekend.  It was a good thing they had
brought extras along!

Saturday night was the one saturday during the run of this faire
where no special activities were planned.  It becomes a time for
crafters and performers and musicians to rest in the evening.  For
those of us in the campground it gave us the chance to visit and get
caught up on happenings around the circuit.  Outside observers think
that these evenings must be filled with parties and debauchery and
are disappointed to learn that by 9:30 or 10:00 in the evening the
campground is quiet.  Everyone goes to bed early to get ready for
the next days work.

Saturday night the temperature pummeted.  Upon awakening
Sunday morning the temperature inside my tent trailer was about 52
degrees fairy height.  That is cool - not cold but definitely cool.  With
a beautiful clear morning it makes for a bright and brisk start of the
day with the sun shining and a chill in the air.

Sunday, is a lighter crowd day than Saturday, but Mothers Day is
always up for grabs.  Some years the crowds are really light and
other years pretty good.  This year, though not as hectic as
Saturday, the crowd was still pretty good.  There was a definite chill
in the air though.  The breeze was out of the north and kept things
cooler.  This is good and bad.  Good because we can put more
energy into performing without draining ourselves.  Bad because
remember the thing about the sun?  It is still bright.  Because it is
cool people tend to forget to apply majyk potion altogether.  This
results in more burns.  I think that is when my honker really became
a glowing beacon.  Maybe I'll remember the potion next week.

As usual, the day went by in a blur of activity.  All too soon it was
time for closing ceremonies and parting toasts.  As the crowds
wandered homeward, we took stock of the weekend.  It had been
good.  I was pleased to note that I was remembering new songs
easier, and enjoying songs I "sort of" knew without worrying about
hitting the right chords as much.

This morning, getting ready for work I looked at my dress slacks and
sport shirt and dress shoes.  They looked funny - not humorous
funny, but . . . strange.  After wearing faire garb all weekend, modern
clothes look somehow "odd" when first viewed.  Then again, that is
why patrons find our apparel so amusing I guess.  To them we look
strange as we wander about interacting with the crowd.

Two more weekends to go.  Is it possible we are half way done
already?  Time truly does fly when you are having fun.

Till next report,
Long Live the King, God Save the Queen
Andrus the Bard