TheBanyanTree: Back from Monterey

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Mar 19 13:33:03 PST 2006

March 19, 200000006

Dear Fellow Travellers,

	We arrived home from Monterey in one piece each of us, but
each housing our own cluster of frustrations left over from the
vacation.  It was a cross between delightful and harrowing.  I was
the coordinator, referee, guide and mediator for the group, and it
was sometimes a multi-tasking job.  Gramma can walk fine, but more
slowly than the rest of us, while Meyshe shoots out ahead if you
don't bungee him to someone or something.  He spent much of the time
glued to his gameboy, giggling, completely engrossed, shuffling up
the street while concentrating on the little screen.  I had to take
the thing away from him a few times just so he wouldn't present a
danger to himself or others, bumping into things.

	Meyshe and I shared a room in the upscale hotel.  Adjoining
our room, Feyna and Gramma shared a mirror image of our room.  The
two of them, Feyna and my mother, did not blend well at times.  Both
are worriers.  It's the Brodofsky gene, I tell you.  The Brodofskys
started out in Lithuania, where all my family comes from.  They were
given the name during the period when all the Jews were rounded up
and assigned last names.  If you had money to bribe the officials
handing out names, they'd give you a good one:  Goldberg (gold
mountain), Silberstein (silver stone).  If you had no money or
displeased the officials in any way, they'd hand you a crummy moniker
that would follow you and your descendents down to the seventh
generation: Neiman (no one), Sheiskopf (shithead).  The first
Brodofsky reached across the table to sign his name and the official
noticed he had a wart on the back of his hand.  Brodofsky means
"wart".   The Brodofskys are worriers.  Big time worriers.  They
don't need any particular awful thing to worry about.  They will find
something to worry about like the one needle in the haystack that
keeps poking them.  And they will perform anguish over this, wringing
hands, furrowing brows, sighing, anxiously pacing or fretting out
loud.  Everything that could go wrong is assumed will go wrong.  It's
not an easy life.  I once suggested that the way the Brodofskys
earned their livings in the old country was by hiring themselves out
as surrogate worriers, since they were going to worry anyway, and
they may as well make some money at it.

	So here you had Feyna and my mother, both with the gene
marked with an "oy", but worrying about different things,
incompatible things.  Feyna worries about getting out of the room
with everything she owns on her person, and she loses things, then
goes crazy fixating on finding them.  It takes her forever to
organize and depart.  The rest of us were always waiting.  My mother,
on the other hand, worries about things happening on a schedule.  It
is an artificial schedule, as we were on a vacation, but it was the
schedule she imagined, so she worried about the timing.  Here was
Feyna dragging on, having lost her wallet, or a rubber band to hold a
sock up, frenetically pawing through all the piles of possessions on
her side of the room.  There was Gramma fretting visibly on the other
side of the room, because we were not on schedule.  I had to mediate.
And I realized while I was doing so, how much of my life is spent
waiting for Feyna to get herself together.  I am used to it.  I am
the picture of patience (but maybe not the substance of patience).

	Feyna and Meyshe get along and they don't get along.  Just
like siblings do and don't.  At times, anything either of them did
annoyed the other, and little tiffs would spurt up here and there.
In the meantime, Feyna wanted to drive the car, having just gotten
her license, and this made Gramma exceptionally agitated.  She'd slam
her foot on an imaginary brake, gasp as we changed lanes, or rounded
a corner.  I calmed her if I could, and had to explain to Feyna why
she would not be driving the car on the freeway at night in a light
rain to a place we were not sure how to find.

	Thank God for the Monterey Bay Aquarium!  With four walkie
talkies distributed among our party, each person could wander off and
follow his or her impulse without any worry (there's that word again)
of anyone getting lost, or being inaccessible.  I mostly stayed with
my mother, walking her slow pace, examining the exhibits, talking to
each  other about the kids, the fish, the world, the nettled details
of life.  We stood, enrapt by the jellyfish, mesmerized by their
pumping swim, with their tentacles streaming out below them, like
heads of hair in currents of water.  One tank after another filled
with these mysteriously ethereal creatures.  And I had to ask one of
the expert docents manning a nearby information station, "Which
jellyfish are the ones we eat?" These experts get every question
imaginable, and they draw from their well of knowledge plus the
battering of experience when they answer.  But what I got was, "We
eat jellyfish?  Who eats jellyfish?"

	The concierge at the hotel directed us to her favourite
restaurant for the birthday dinner.  She made the reservations, and
told me not to order hors de'ouvres because they would be on the
house, thanks for staying in our hotel.  The restaurant turned out to
be one of those huge, cavernous things with a thousand tables in 24
rooms, with coordinated decor, grapes hanging from the ceiling, and
giant painted metal roosters posted here and there.  We had a
reservation, but we had to wait anyway.  From the entrance waiting
area we watched diners consuming their meals.  The din was
unimaginable.  We found ourselves shouting at each other, not polite,
and futile, too.  When it was time to order, I heard nothing about
the complimentary hors de'ouvres, so I had to mention it.  The waiter
gave me a blank look, shook his head and said he didn't know anything
about it.  Strike one for the concierge.  For their birthday, I gave
Feyna and Meyshe each a copy of, "Virtual PC", a program they can put
in their e-macs that will allow them to play any windows program on
them.  Meyshe hugged his present, and squealed his thank you.  He's
had his eye on a virtual garden program that only comes in a windows
format.  Gramma gave a card to each of them.  To Meyshe she promised
to buy him three programs for his computer.  For Feyna, she promised
to buy my nephews car as a gift to Feyna.  True, the inspiration for
this was the horrible fact that Feyna was promised a motor scooter
for Channukah, and the car was supposed to obviate that horror.
Feyna received the offer graciously, but tentatively, and with a
great deal of embarrassment.  Only hours before she was sitting at
the table being told that she was going to be given a car, she'd been
on the phone to her half brother, Alex, in Georgia, going on and on
about how she has no need for a car at this stage.  Just wants a
scooter.  No car for her.  Too expensive.  Too much responsibility.
Too cumbersome.  Overkill.  No way.  No how.  No sirree.  She knew
that my mother had overheard that conversation.

	And we finally departed Monterey, on Feyna's schedule, with
Gramma bothering herself about the time of departure, and Meyshe
buried in his game boy, and I trying to sew everyone up into a
compatible comforter, all snuggled up lovingly together.  The drive
back was easy.  I just put a CD in the player and listened to the
Brahms second viola quintet, followed by the Brahms clarinet quintet,
followed by the Brahms second viola quintet, followed by the Brahms
clarinet quintet.  And we were home.  The kids were dead asleep in
the back seats.

	When we walked into our house, we noticed there were some
flies in the dining room.  Too many flies.  It's not as if we'd left
some carrion out for rotting and munching.  I unpacked, first my
bathroom equipment.  I opened the door to the bathroom, looked up and
said, "Oh my God."  There were clusters of flies buzzing around the
skylight.  I looked to the sink.  "Oh my God."  There were more flies
dotting the counter and the mirror, crawling on the water glass,
enjoying the box of kleenex.  I looked to the west wall.  "Oh my
God!"  More flies.  And to the north.  "OH my GOD!"  To the east and
south, "OH MY GOD!"  There must have been a hundred flies in the
bathroom, which was the obvious epicenter of the infestation.  But
where were they coming from, and why?  I got the hell out of the
bathroom.  There are times for fly swatters, and there are times to
forget the ecology and go out to buy RAID, breathe in the fumes and
get rid of the blight.  We bought two cans.  One labelled, "Organic",
and the other your plain old nerve poison, unbiodegradable straight
shooting toxicania.  I must have put half a can in the bathroom, and
the pests died like flies.  The dead bodies were everywhere, a
disgusting sight.  The counters and floor, all the bathroom things
that you put in your mouth, your hair, your nose, your ass,
everything covered with a thick layer of poison, and the smell was
unparalleled.  I ran from the room holding my hand over my mouth and
nose.  The flies were dead, and we cleaned them up.  But more
appeared in their place.  For every one that was felled, it seemed
that two more rose in its place.

	I have called the exterminator.  I left a message and got no
return call.  I have called another exterminator, left another
message, and received no return call.  I am going to attack the
yellow pages and call other exterminators, a raft of exterminators,
many exterminators, all of them with lives of their own, and
businesses killing tiny things that bother humans, live off of them,
eat their staple foods, invade their houses, make them squirm with
repulsion.  I will get a message from someone, and the first one to
return the call will get the job.  Where did something die and
attract all the flies?  And why the bathroom?  There is an old joke
about flies.  You've probably heard it.  You may skip ahead to the
last paragraph to avoid a bad joke.  I mean a really bad joke.  But
you're probably going to read it anyway, so here goes:

	A man in India goes into hotel after hotel looking for a
room, but they are all full.  There's a convention in town.  He gets
desperate and demands at the next place to be shown some room, any
room.  He will take anything.  The clerk tells him that there is one
room, but it has flies.  "So what? Flies?  India has flies.  I can
take flies.  Give me the room!"  The clerk repeats the warning about
the flies, and admonishes him that this being India, a room having
flies means more than it might elsewhere.  But the man insists on
taking the room.  The next morning, the man is checking out, and the
clerk asks him, hesitantly, how he slept, you know, with the flies
and all.  The man says it was no problem.  He just crapped in the
corner.

	Okay.  Bad joke, but this episode with the flies has me
thinking creatively about a solution if none of the exterminators
chooses to answer my plea.  I am banished from my bathroom, and the
kitchen is filled with bug spray, too.  No cooking here until the
crisis has passed.

	So I am back, and many times grateful to be so.  Feyna is
thinking it over about the car.  Meyshe is ecstatic about virtual PC.
I am thinking over my options too.  Should I relax, or get back to
business?  Settlement conference on Thursday.  Oh my.  It will be
good to get that over with.  And I sit in my basement room, at my
computer, spraying pixils on the screen in a message to you.
Remember next time you eat jellyfish at your favourite Chinese
restaurant, how ethereal they look, pumping themselves through the
water at the Aquarium, glowing and dancing in the current.

	Love,

	Tobie
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro