TheBanyanTree: Veteran Status

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Fri Mar 3 10:59:46 PST 2006

I don't qualify for any. Not that I want any benefits. But I'm filling out
an employment form, and under Veteran Status there are four options.
Qualified Disabled Veteran (no, not me), Vietnam Veteran (I was born just a
year or two too late to qualify for that one, unless I left high school
early to go to war, but my parents wouldn't hear of it), "Other Veteran,"
which seems to include those who have campaign badges or for which a
campaign badge has been authorized (I can't recall any campaigns, but I was
pretty busy at the time), or Newly Separated Veteran, which means discharge
occurred in the past 12 months (definitely not me). So after 6 years in the
military, there are no boxes for me to check. Oh sure, checking any of those
little boxes doesn't do anything for me, doesn't get me anything anyway, but
I still feel like I want to check something, that I want to be acknowledged
somehow. But hey, that's just me. I guess I'll get over it.

Monique