TheBanyanTree: The Arbuckles From the Distance

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 2 20:23:34 PST 2006

Between Texas and central Oklahoma lies a mountain range known as the
Arbuckles.

I seldom get to go to this area now but the trips that I made in the recent
past from Dallas to Oklahoma City would take me over part of the Arbuckle
Mountains.

If I had the time in the past I would always stop and read some of the signs
at the outlook stops or scenic view stops, over the rolling hills and
downhill toward the south and toward Texas.  From there one is able to see
more of the Arbuckles in the distance and for more than a hundred miles to
the south, across the Red River that separates Oklahoma from Texas and down
into the plains north of Dallas and Ft Worth.

I've always felt a special affinity to the place and felt that there was
something special about it, a connection to it, even though I have never
lived in the region or had ever heard of it before crossing the Arbuckles the
first time about 9 years ago.  From some reason, when I reach the area I feel
the same connection to it that I do when I have been alone for an extended
period in the forests of some of the areas in northwest Florida where I grew
up.  It's a "I belong here, I'm comfortable here" feeling that I can't
explain but is there nonetheless, powerful and poignant in my psyche.

When I did a small study after the first visit/stop/pass through the area I
discovered some of what makes the area special.  There's good reason to
consider it special (see this URL for some of them)

http://www.epinions.com/content_1868603524

But the feeling, so strong when I pass through there goes beyond mere
intellectual gratification of the knowledge that the place has ancient haunts
not exposed to the world in so many other places that I see, or visit, or
have dwelt in in the past.

It's as if there is a call, a pull, a return to me, to your family's roots,
urging in my heart there.  It's as if I have family, living and dead there,
some of those buried, bones crushed into powder by the same forces that made
a mountain range once higher than the Himalayas, now in many places so low
that you don't know they are the remnants of such a mighty chain;  a fine
powder of bones more ancient that the rocks now exposed and blown eons ago
from those mountains by the four winds, down to Texas and settling in the
murky waters of the Red River, drifting slowly toward the Gulf of Mexico.

It's like a calling in my deepest to a "Welcome, home".  Standing on a
hill on the ancient mountains, when I look over the impressive vista around
me I hear it again. "You are doing what your fathers and mothers once did.
And you were made to be here.  For you see, you were not made to view the
Arbuckles from the distance, but the distance from the Arbuckles."

This always comes with a chill down my spine and a resignation.  A resignation
that coded below gene level they live, and they see their beloved home the
Arbuckles again with joy, and they want me to know it and of their love . . .
for me and for their ancient home.

  bd
    ----

  bd