TheBanyanTree: Gainfully Employed

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Thu Mar 2 20:04:56 PST 2006

That's me. Salary, benefits, paid vacations, paid holidays. An expense
account. A new laptop paid for by the company. A flexible schedule - I can
still come in late every day. Not horribly late - I usually make it in by
10. It's not the hours that matter, it's the production. And I can produce,
even if I'm sitting at home on my couch with my laptop. Still, I have to be
at the office quite a bit, since I am a manager and apparently responsible
for, uhm, stuff. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea that every
couple of weeks money will magically appear in my checking account without
me having to invoice people, without me having to ask people when they think
they might get around to paying me. The money will, assuming I do my
managerial job properly, just appear. (It's contingent on me doing my job
properly since accounting and human resources are included in my empire.)
What really sounds amazing to me, after years of self-employment, is that
when I want to take a vacation, I can take a vacation and not worry about
the fact that I'm not generating income while vacationing. I can take a sick
day without it meaning a day devoid of income. At year end I get a bonus. Of
course, it's not all fun and games. I also get to go to meetings. But it's a
nice change. I was ready for a change. I'm not giving up all of my clients
though - they won't let me. So I'll keep a few. Just for fun. I'm employed.
Time to clean up my act, eh?

Monique