TheBanyanTree: Way Down Yonder on the Chattahoochee - End

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 19 18:38:45 PDT 2006

I'd like to be able to tell you that I, by sheer skill, intelligence
and determination, conquered the Bush Head Shoals in fine style and
left that guy standing on the beach waving at me in awe as he watched
me gracefully maneuver the boat through the impossible.  I'd like to
tell you that I wasn't afraid or never doubted my ability to make it
through the shoals unscathed and the boat in one piece.  I was
shaken, I was tossed, I was slung around, I was doused.

Actually I can attest to one of those points.  The boat made it
though in one piece.

But . . .  it now has more scars on it than a 10-year-old champion
pit bull.

How I made it through those shoals I don't know other than luck,
hanging on for dear life, shifting my weight when needed, jumping out
of the boat when I had to and staying with it when I felt had to.

I'm rather inclined to think that the fellow on the shore watching me
probably laughed more than he worried because I must have been
comical from his  point of view  -- half frightened out of my mind,
flailing with the paddles, pushing off of rocks, jumping into and out
of the boat as needed and add to that the sound of the boat's hull
crunching against rock after rock that must have echoed down the
river like gunshots.  The fact that the hull didn't puncture through
is a testimony to the most excellent work of a group of welders in a
little factory in Arkansas,  bless their souls forever more.

But they say that all that matters in the end is that you make it
through and I did.  It wasn't pretty and it wasn't graceful and it
wasn't picture perfect.

But I'm proud to say that didn't lose one item from the boat.

And you may find this hard to believe but after these shoals was
another set worse in some respects but not as wide and with water not
as swift.  On their approach I just got out of the boat, took the
rope and walked, pulled the boat through and fought the currents the
best I could while I floundered in the water and ended up the victor
over the last set of shoals that I had to go through before a short
stint of paddling to end with the sighting, at long, long last a
bridge over the river.

But as fortune would  have it it was not the bridge at Franklin.
Nope, it was the new bridge just before the bridge at Franklin.
They're building a bypass on US27 around the city and this bridge
will take most of the traffic now.  As I approached it I realized it
was not the Franklin bridge but I didn't worry at that point.   As I
paddled pass the bridge the first boat I had seen since the rowdies
up near Whitesburg came into view.

The two guys sat in a bateaux boat and worked some jigs just off the
bottom for striped bass and crappie.

"How far to Franklin?"  I called out through cupped hands.

"'Bout a mile down river, " one answered.

Relieved I knew that a mile meant a mile in this case,  eased up on
the depth of the paddle, and took a little of my back out of it.

"Where'd you put in?"  the same guy asked through cupped hands.

"Whitesburg," I said proudly.

He sat stunned for a minute, watching me closely, looking carefully
at my boat, the gears in his head turning fast, no doubt.

"You've paddled a mighty long way then haven't you?" he said.

"Part of yesterday and all of today," I replied.

The talked incoherently between themselves for a minute.

"Ja ketch enny fish?"

"Naw, they just aint bitin'," I replied politely.

And finally I worked my way down the river that true last mile close
enough to Franklin just before dark to have decent enough cellphone
service to place a  call to my wife.  She soon was  in route to
rendezvous at the Franklin City Park right on the river, just past
the (old) Franklin bridge.

My son had come along with my wife so we made quick work out of

I was tuckered out and it showed.

I jumped behind the wheel of the car and my son asked, "Well, Dad,
how was it?"

"Son, I can truly say it was an adventure.  I'm glad that I went
first to check things out,  and to be honest I would have been afraid
if you or your mother had been along with me . . .  But  do I have a
story to tell you!"

End

   bd
     ----