TheBanyanTree: Way Down Yonder on the Chattahoochee - Part VII

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 19 17:28:31 PDT 2006

Oxbow lake:

        n : a crescent-shaped lake (often temporary) that is formed when
            a meander of a river is cut off from the main channel

As I approached the island I had the feeling that I had made the
wrong choice.  I glanced again in the direction of the sand bar, then
back again.  I tried to turn the boat around and head toward the sand
bar but the current was too strong.  I ended up going to the right of
the island and down a channel of water that sped up briefly, then
gradually slowed down.

Soon it was clear that the main flow of the river was to my left and
was a part of the water that cut the island in half.  I was to the
right of it and the boat slowed down to complete stop.  There was no
current at all and the water had that foamy backwater look to it.

I thought about the trip I made a couple of weeks ago from down
around Valdosta up through the back roads to Dublin.  In Telfair
County, in Jacksonville, GA, just a wide spot in the road,  I came
across a road marker.

"World Record Bass:   Caught by George Perry in Montgomery Lake, an
oxbow lake off the Ocmulgee River a few miles from this spot."

The placard had an old faded photograph of George Perry holding up
the biggest bass I had ever seen.  It weighed in at 22 lbs 4 oz and
was caught in June of 1932.

I'm on an oxbow lake, I thought.  One not too unlike the waters the
world record bass was caught in.

I paddled down a bit more and found a likely looking section of
water, picked up a rod and began to fish again.  I needed the break.

I fished for 15 minutes or so and never had so much as a minnow
following the lure.  I picked up the paddle again to paddle a little
and then fish a little.  Nothing.  If there was another world record
bass in another Georgia oxbow lake, then this was not the one, at
least as far as my luck went.  I put the rod back down and took
another drink of water.

It was then I noticed that the waters were getting very shallow,
shallow enough that I could easily see the bottom.  I maneuvered the
boat away from the shallows but there wasn't much deeper water to be
found.  The sun was just above the tree line and the temperature was
slowly coming down.  And the waterway that I was on was getting wider
and more shallow as I paddled back in earnest again, noticing the
time and starting to worry about having to spend the night on the
river again.  This time I was out of food, unlike the night before,
and now had family worried about me.

Then there it was again.  That sound that at that point in the trip I
felt I could not stomach hearing again.  I tried to deny it but as I
paddled on it became clear that there was yet another set of shoals
to go through and this set was the real thing.  I hadn't heard
anything as loud as the roar of rushing water directly ahead of me.
By the time I could determine the full scope of them,  the river
seemed a mile wide and so full of granite rocks popping up above the
water, so full of swirling, roaring water that I could not believe
for a moment.  I quickly scanned the entire width of the river but
couldn't determine a decent place to shoot the hooch.  I couldn't
even find the hooch to shoot.

Because I entered to the right of the island I put myself in the
worst case scenario to go through these shoals.  I was entering them
at their most shallow and most rocky.  There was no way that I could
paddle across the wide and shallow river to the other side to check
it out for a better location to go through them.  I was stuck with
this side of the river.  I desperately tried to paddle further to the
right side but the current was so fast, the rocks too many and I
crashed and banged my way down to what looked like the worst possible
place to negotiate this set of mega-shoals.

As I steeled myself for the worst I heard someone shouting from the
shore and looked to see someone waving at a beach area in front of a
very large newly built house overlooking the shoals.

What was that they were saying?  I could have sworn he said, "You
can't make it through there"   and maybe "Turn around."

But I AM sure that he said,  "Are you crazy?"

That I heard distinctly.

I looked at him waving and then looked back to where the boat was
heading inexorably now toward the increasing noise, foam and angry
waters. I desperately tried to find the best possible place to shoot
the hooch but this set of shoals was easily 5 times worse than that
the one I had to do portage over earlier in the day.  I really didn't
have much choice.  I could jump out, stay with the boat or maybe try
both -- stay with the boat at times and get out of it if I had to to
allow the boat  to pass over the rocks and shallowest of waters.

I felt the boat scrape heavily against rock and then lodge on an
underwater obstacle and thought to myself,

I just may be.

End of Part VII

     bd
       ----