TheBanyanTree: Life in the Slow Lane

Kitty Park kpark at sssnet.com
Thu Jul 6 14:48:23 PDT 2006

I've just returned from a 12-day cruise which began in Venice and ended in
Barcelona.  I love the cruise experience and am willing to forego a land
tour which might spend several days in one city to experience a taste of
many.  Perhaps one day I might return to those where I want to spend more
time.

For you who may be unfamiliar with cruise travel, ships offer shore
excursions and buses carry up to 50 passengers from site to site.  Those
vehicles can move only as quickly as the slowest passenger can get on and
off the bus.  Therefore in each port we hired a private driver/guide so that
we could move quickly from place to place with a maximum of 10 people
getting out of or in to the car or van.  (For the curious, cost per person
is generally less than the ships' tours.  And because roads in the old towns
are no wider than two carriages, cars/vans can get clients closer to venues
than buses can.)

In Athens as we drove from the city toward Cape Sounion to see the Temple of
Poseidon, one of the folks in the back seat remarked about our speed and
asked what the limit was.  Marcus replied, "There is no speed limit; the
signs you see are merely suggestions."

On that same drive, we pulled up behind a long line of cars waiting to turn
right at a traffic light.  Marcus drove into the left-hand turn lane where
there were no cars, and when beside the first car in the right-hand turn
lane, pulled in front of it, making us now the first car in line to turn
right!  I was sitting in the front seat next to Marcus and spun my head to
look at him.  "Are you *nuts*?", I asked him, thinking about road rage
issues in the US.  He looked at me and smiled and shrugged.  "What?  This is
no problem here," he replied.  And I guess it isn't.  I heard no horn honk
or rapid-fire speech berating Marcus for his line cutting.

On my earlier visit to Santorini, I rented a car.  We had a marvelous time
as we explored, although we were nearly T-boned by a bus that was prepared
to run a stop sign.  (There are very few on the island.)  I rented a car
again for this trip.  Before leaving the lot, the manager went over the car
with us, looking for any marks on the car, running her hands along the
vehicle, either caressing it or feeling for dents.  It was obvious that if
we had a mishap, she'd be able to identify it!

The roads on Santorini are two-lane.  Ninety-nine percent of the cars are
compact models.  Motor scooters abound.  We drove from Fira, the scenic town
where the tenders dock, north to Oia, where the view is indescribable and
the shops along the cliff, plentiful.  I was not speeding, but neither was I
moseying along.  It became apparent there is no speed limit on Santorini
either.  While my passengers white-knuckled it as we drove along the narrow
winding road, a number of cars passed us.  (I was too busy keeping my eyes
on the road to notice the cliff to our right.)  Later in the day as we
rounded a curve (in our own lane, mind you), a car coming from the other
direction fish-tailed coming around it, narrowly escaping impact with our
grille.  Later there was another curve, and this time the driver was
successful in pulling his out-of-control scooter out of a series of back-end
swishes and back into his own lane.

We had nine ports of call, nine cities and numerous towns visited and
hundreds of miles driven.  I heard horns honk twice.  We never saw an
accident.  We never saw a trooper on an expressway.  Either all the bad
drivers are dead or in jail or European citizens approach life differently
than we Americans do.

Kitty
kpark at sssnet.com
www.parkplaceohio.com