TheBanyanTree: Walking to the Tree

sash sash at remsset.com
Thu Jul 6 09:27:22 PDT 2006

So the title is a bit deceptive.

I'm not actually walking to the tree.  Not myself.  Not this time.  Maybe
not ever.

I am walking to the arbor, though.  And I walk in support of my precious
friends who ARE walking to the tree.  To join with the tree.  To dance
with the tree.

The Sundance Tree - for Tree day is just one week away and I will be there
as they take the tree and tie the robes and smoke the pipes and start the
drumming.

I will be there in the lodge.  Singing and praying with and for my friends
-for their strength and their courage.  For their sacrifice and
tenderness.  For the blessing they give and the blessings they will receive.

I will be there in the arbor.  I will stand strong for my friends when
they don't know if they can stand another moment.  I will dance to create
a breeze for them in the heat of the sun.  I will dance to generate heat
for them when the Thunderbeings bring the rain  I will eat for my friends
as they fast.  I will drink water - staying strong and hydrated for my
friends as they allow no liquid to pass their lips.

My heart is beating a little faster as I write this - my first message
connecting one tree to another.  I place my heart, exposed, on this
branch.  I must place it here because I need to gather the hurts and fears
and challenges of these people and take them with me to that other tree -
carrying them in the space where my heart lives.

The Sundance Tree.  The Banyan Tree.  My Tree of life that has so many
branches.  So many sacrifices and blessings.  So many friends.

aho mitakuye oyas'in <---(to all my relations)

To be continued...