TheBanyanTree: A Slow Season So Far

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 7 04:58:08 PDT 2006

That's how the current Atlantic hurricane season is looking.

It doesn't appear to be off to the gangbusters start of last year,
that many have said would likely be bested by this current season.

Of course, it is early in the season, which peaks in September, but
what are the odds that we will have another season as bad as last
year's record breaking season?  Not very good, me thinks.

Just like Florida getting hit with 5 major hurricanes two years ago.
That was followed by Florida getting off relatively unscathed last
year.  Many predicted that Florida was in for the same thing last
year, with even more severe storms.   Just didn't happen though.

But one thing for sure,  the Atlantic hurricane season comes every
year and with it risks of death and destruction, those being
amplified by continued frenetic (almost psychotic?) building in
coastal areas with communities, developers, insurance companies and
governments ignoring those risks and failing to prepare properly.

I was in south Georgia when the first tropical storm of the season
passed directly over us.  It was mild, brought much needed rain, and
was actually a blessing instead of a curse.  Tropical cyclonic
systems are part of the natural climate in our area and figure
prominently in the rainfall cycle every year.  We, odd as it may seem
to some, need them to maintain our normal climate.

You see, it's only natural for Mother Nature to act that way in our
part of the country.

   bd
     ----