TheBanyanTree: Head Songs

Dee dee.cee at verizon.net
Sun Jan 22 09:24:56 PST 2006

There's more than one way to get a song stuck on an endless loop in your
brain case, especially when you have a clock radio and are unfortunate
enough to have it tuned to a station that employs a disc jockey with a
wicked sense of humor.

Remember that movie "Nine to Five" that came out in the late '70s? Don't
remember all the cast but Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton were in it.
Dolly, of course, had the cover on the title song, a rousing,
blood-thumping, up-and-at'em go-gitter. "Tumble out of bed and stumble
to the kitchen..." I mean, you couldn't hear that song without wanting
to MOVE. Yeah.

So this one night I set my clock to wake up to music, thinking (silly
me) that would be much gentler to my psyche than the rude and raucous
blare of the alarm. But the dj had rigged it so that tune --that
adrenaline-squirting ditty-- would kick in exactly on the hour...and he
had the sound jacked up extra high.

Hooboy! When that driving beat blasted out, this child went straight up
in the air and in six different directions, simultaneously. You might
think that's physically impossible but it's not. The miracle of the
moment was that I didn't unload my morning bladder while I was at it but
the poor thang was probably frozen in fear.

To say the experience traumatized me is like saying the Pacific ocean
has some deep spots. Not only was that song thumping through my brain
non-stop for *days,* I haven't had the guts to set the alarm for a music
wakeup since. Nor have I been able to trust disc jockeys from that
moment -- and one was a dear friend. And I can't even *think* about
setting an alarm of any kind without remembering that shattering
morning...with the consequent replay of "Tumble out of bed and stumble
to the kitchen..."

It's doing it now. Right now.

Help.

I'm caught in an endless loop...