TheBanyanTree: Head Songs

Mike Pingleton pingleto at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 18:35:03 PST 2006

On 1/21/06, Maria Gibson <mgibson7 at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Damn Neil Diamond and damn the Chinese.  I've found torture of a new
> variety.

I like the idea of having a very quiet soundtrack running thru my head and
my life, although I would take pains to keep some things out.  I have been
listening to the new release from Great Big Sea (one of Newfoundland's great
gifts to the world) for the past week, and so my favorites are running in my
head, one after the other.  I love the music and I love this playback
feature so thoughtfully included in the basic brain model.  I woke up this
morning with one playing.  I have had dreams with Edgar Meyer-Bela Fleck
duets playing in the background.  Is that not normal?  Is that not
wonderful?

What did we humans do before we had access to all of this music?  Did 13th
century peasants get The Potato Song stuck in their heads?  What about the
folks on Easter Island?

tama maoru:  what's the matter?
mana toroa:  Big Stone Head song.
tama maoru: dude, it sucks to be you.

Now we know what happened to the Easter Islanders.

Did you ever wonder why we -don't- get certain tunes stuck in our heads?
Like Happy Birthday?  or, For He's A Jolly Good Fellow?  The Theme from
'Mannix'?  oh no, wait...

Someday, scientists or maybe engineers at Sony will figure out a way for us
to share head music, and that will be the end of civilisation as we know it.

Until that time, should you get some craven tune wrapping octopus tentacles
around your cerebellum, all you have to do is repeat the two magic words...

manah manah

Doesn't ring a bell?  Visit
http://personales.ya.com/beor/mahnamahna/index.html and visit one of the
links at the page bottom.