TheBanyanTree: angst in teenage land

Anita Coia anita at redpepper.net.au
Sun Jan 22 21:00:16 PST 2006

Gee thanks guys for all your support - I'll take that as "welcome to the
club"!!!  Just for clarity - my partner is her "father" but not her
natural father. Daughter was about 18mths old when my partner met her
(single) mother and he took to the fatherhood gig with relish.  However,
he is finding the same situation - but his longer relationship with her
has also imbued him with a lot more patience. I've really only known her
for under 3 years and she hasn't spent so much time with us till now
(every 2nd weekend) so while we get along okay we don't have a deep
relationship. The superficial fun stuff is good - it's just the mundane
stuff.

However - just today I have been handed a new piece of leverage...
BROADBAND!!  Yes, the holy grail for teenagers the world over who want
to download tons and tons of illegal MP3 files.  And it's only connected
to MY computer in my study, coz that's where I hook in when I work from
home - not the second phone line where the kids' computer is attached.
Ah, I forsee washing being done, martinis being mixed, feet being
massaged. Perhaps even the odd toasted sandwich. Perhaps I'm dreaming.

Though she just caught me unawares and asked me for a lift to work and I
said "yes" - despite the fact that she's been sitting around doing
nothing all day and could well use a 20 minute walk...and that washing
is STILL not done....