TheBanyanTree: I was a shadow...

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Jan 23 07:08:09 PST 2006

I really appreciated your posting, Sach.  I have a 20 year old  Grandson who
is autistic.  When very young, he would have terrible  tantrums, avoid human
contact, and so often be totally out of control. My son  and his wife, this
being their first child, were mightily challenged to deal  with this youngster.
They had him in a "Special" class at school, and  devoted so much time and
effort on this dear little boy.

That same young man graduated from high school with the "regular" kids,
having fulfilled all the regular required classwork requirements. He is highly
intelligent, has learned to know his body and its signals, and to take care of
them when they occur.

During my Christmas trip to visit family, I had occasion to dine out with  my
son's family, the beloved grandson included.  He read from the menu,  made
his own selections and commuted same to the waiter.  He buttered the  bread of
one of his younger sisters, carried on his part of the   conversation, and had
some astute comments to offer.  His intelligence  shined, his loving care of
his sisters showed, and I bet no one around us was  aware he had any problem at
all.

He has come so far. And, how I adore him, no matter he is more perfect than
the ordinary.

Thank you for your own experience.
NancyLee