TheBanyanTree: Monday Morning Mendations

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 23 07:33:25 PST 2006

   A crisis came into my life yesterday.

   It involved one of my children.

   It made me confront some things that we both have neglected to talk openly
about, to confute frankly, in short, to speak man-to-man about for some time.

   Trouble is how do you really talk man-to-man with a boy?  I could talk
man-to-boy, that was for certain, but in the past I wasn't really certain
that it WAS m2m.  Yes, I could say, "Son, this is man-to-man."  But from the
saying to the doing is often a space as wide as the universe.

   One can say, "Yes", one can say, "I agree", one can say, "I understand" and
you know in your heart that those words just fell from lips to the ground to
immediately suffer corruption and decay.

   Conflict is the essence/ the heart of a great story.  Just read any decent
book on creative writing, you'll find that rule there.

   This "story" had a great heart, a true essence that "brought both parties
into the story", brought them into the story so that they were not "aware" of
their surroundings.

   And , speaking of stories, don't we all crave a happy ending to most?

   This story, like many I have in my heart, doesn't have an ending yet.

   But I assure you,  we're working on it.

   bd
    ------