TheBanyanTree: just some bloomin' luv

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue Feb 14 08:17:22 PST 2006

I'm a big fan of Valentine's Day, significant other or no significant other (it
happens that I have one this year, by the skin of our long, tempestuous
relationship's teeth).  I know the day has turned into a commercialized mess,
but that shouldn't detour those of us who mean it from the heart.  "All we need
is love" is my personal motto--I have it on a tshirt and tshirts don't lie
(although they are sometimes tinged with irony).  And so I'm simply thrilled to
have a day set aside on which it doesn't seem quite so odd that I should
distribute pink Gerbera daisies to everyone I meet, which was my method of
choice for spreading the love this morning.  My dad calls me his "flower child"
(general attitude, a penchant for wearing bellbottoms, plus that one time at a
family gathering when I sat in the grass and taught the younger generation how
to make clover chains and tie them in their hair) and I have to admit that I am
just naively optimistic enough to think handing a flower to someone will make
them happier and more full of love for all mankind.  Call me crazy.  Alas and
alack, for you my dear friends, I can't hand out daisies.  Perhaps fortunately
for you, I don't even know where most of you live.   So I searched for something
that has the cheery good intentions and playful nature of a pink gerbera daisy,
but flatter and easier to send through email.  So here you are, my Valentines--a
pome.

Be mine,
Julie

Valentine