TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 103

Monique Young monique.ybs at verizon.net
Fri Dec 29 09:47:13 PST 2006

We take turns. We don't assign turns, we don't give it a lot of thought, and
sometimes he ends up doing more cooking and I end up doing more kitchen
cleaning because cooking is what matters the most to him and what matters to
me the most is eating and having a kitchen I can find things in. Like clean
dishes. Sometimes we cook together, but often we cook separately, and one or
the other will surprise the other, whichever other, with whatever's been
prepared. Sometimes I'll start something, with an idea of where I'm going,
and he'll show up to "help" and to add this or that, and I'll wander off and
later realize I didn't even make dinner, but someone certainly did.

In high school I took home ec. There were a few guys in my class. And they
all ended up at my table. Me and 4 guys were a team, and I taught THEM how
to cook. Not exactly productive for me, but what the hey. I also took auto
shop, where I was the only girl in the class and therefore overrun with help
when I wanted to work on my very own car -- I took my car in, we put it up,
and I was shooed away because they didn't want me to get dirty or break a
fingernail. Well then. I could have fought harder, but I didn't. I took
drafting, the only female there also, and I could make the most perfect
freehand circles. That's about as far as my drafting skills progressed. I
took electronics, and learned to solder as well as anyone. It was all
experimental for me, trying things out. I tried to get in to wood shop, but
it filled up before I could get there. You know how it goes. I could also
run the quarter mile as fast any guy in my co-ed gym class, but when it came
to gymnastics I was thrown out after the first day because I couldn't
tumble. "Perhaps, dear," the kindly teacher said, "You'd be better suited
for tennis." And so I was sent out to play tennis, and she was right. And
then handball, at which I excelled. Except for when I smashed my hand into
the concrete in the mistaken belief there was a ball to be smashed and
sprained it, but until then I was quite good.

Then I joined the military in my quest to see if guys really do have more
fun and found the answer to be: not really.