TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 103

LaLinda twigllet at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 08:29:28 PST 2006

> I actually love to cook now.  I think it's a key ingredient in my
> personal health that I can cook.  I think of it as a tribute to my
> mother and grandmothers, not a curse, that I picked up some of their
> culinary skills.  Several of my female friends have become dependent on
> their husbands who cook because they absolutely can't or won't.  And,
> honestly, that isn't a very liberated idea, is it?  Isn't it the ideal
> that both people can generally take care of themselves if necessary?
> Not that one person can't be the main cook and bottle-washer if things
> play out that way, but that the other is prepared to step in, and even
> volunteers to step in and switch roles when needed.  I see cooking as
> an important "personal" skill, rather than a "family" skill.
>
> Anyway, food for thought.  Thanks for the sharing your buffet, dear heart.
>
> Julie

Well, that is the thing isn't it?  These women have gone do far
overboard that they have missed the point of feminism altogether,
which is not about role reversal or about disdain for traditional
nurturing-type behaviors, but feminism is about fulfillment: choices
and support in having made them.  Or changing them.  Or changing back.
 If what you do fulfills you, is not an imposition and doesn't impose
on anyone else, then you have successfully implemented true feminist
ideology, IMO.