TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 104

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Dec 29 08:25:59 PST 2006

December 29, 20000006

Dear Every Single One,

	Today is Pablo Casals's birthday.  He
would be way way over a hundred years old by now.
He was born in 1876 and died in 1973.  He was my
hero.  He was the YoYo Ma of his era (actually,
Yo Yo Ma is the Pablo Casals of this era).  Not
only was he a sublime cellist who revolutionized
how the cello is played, but he also was a man of
great principal and one of the first if not the
very first performer in the arts to use his fame
and influence to do good in the world.  He was a
Catalonian and refused to play in Spain until
Franco was gone.  He refused to play in any
country that was supporting Franco.  He
campaigned for good causes and humanitarian
ideals.  And he was the sweetest man I'd ever
seen, heard, or heard about.  He was quite short
and quite bald, a little round.  He was married
to one of his pupils, who was decades younger
than he was, and treated her like a queen (though
he was in principle against royalty).  I wept
when I heard he'd died.  It was good that I had a
hero.  Who would be a hero today?  I'm sure there
are some.  But who would they be?  Someone tell
me a good person to choose as a hero (or heroine).

                        ‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰
                        
                         ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Bedfellows

	For winning a scholarship from the Young
People's Symphony Orchestra, I was allowed to
pick what I would like for a reward.  The first
thing that came to my mind was to get a cat.
Even though my father was allergic to cats, they
said yes.  I never noticed any ill effect from
there being a cat in the house.  He would say he
was getting congested when he actually saw the
cat, but not before.  I was fourteen.  My mother
and I went to the Humane Society and I selected
from their adult cat section, a year old Siamese
cat, and I called her Thai.  Thai was my dear
companion.   An indoor-outdoor cat, she would
leave my room for the great out of doors by
climbing out one of the windows and walking along
the tile roof until she jumped over to the
retaining wall.  Then she'd glide along the wall
until it met the ground, and she was off.

	Thai and I were very close.  I had always
loved cats, but she was the first cat that was
actually mine.  I cared for her, fed her, cleaned
the cat box (rarely, I'm afraid).  I remember
sitting with Thai by the stove with a pot of
boiling water on the coil, going through her fur
with a fine tooth comb to remove the fleas.  I'd
catch those little parasites in the comb and
then, quick, dump them in the boiling water.  I
did not make soup out of this mixture.  I also do
not remember cleaning up after myself, truth be
known.  When it came time for Thai to go into
heat, I closed all the windows in my room, and
made sure she didn't get outside.  I wanted to
plan her pregnancy with a mate of Siamese
extraction.  But Thai was much more determined
than I'd imagined.  She pounced on the upper half
of a window until it shifted down, leaving a gap
on top that she could squeeze through, and she
got out that way.  She was gone two days and came
back drunk from copulating, and pregnant.  When I
think back, I see how instructive it was to have
a fertile animal go through its normal process
for reproduction.  Now, all the animals are
neutered and kids don't get to see how powerful
the hormones are, what the  natural cycle is, how
an animal will do anything to satisfy the urge to
reproduce.  It could affect one's behaviour when
dating.

	The first litter she had, she gave birth
to in the linen closet, a fine soft place for
newborn kittens.  She had five kittens, but two
of them were born dead, their skulls not
completely closed over their brains.  It was a
gruesome sight.  And she mourned over the two
still births while nursing the rest.  She kept
looking for them, meowling and crying, and then
returning to her brood of three.  They were black
and sweet and we found homes for all of them.
The next time Thai went into heat, I found a
breeder of Siamese cats who was willing to take
on a female without papers.  This would not
happen today.  Today, by and large, the breeders
are nazis who watch over the purity of the blood
line, insisting on sterilizing all those who are
not pure bred and licensing all those who are.
But back then, the world was a different place.
The breeders weren't members of the Aryan
Brotherhood, and I found a willing woman who had
a stud service.  We brought Thai there one day
while she was certainly in heat, caterwauling
pitifully, looking for a man.  She'd lain in the
sun preening herself while the neighborhood Toms
had all banged their heads, and worse, on the
windows.  But now she was safely in the capable
hands of a breeder who had just the husband for
her.  You know, you never hear about cats
carrying venereal disease.  Why is this?  They
are surely promiscuous.  Shouldn't God punish
them?

	Two days later, the breeder lady called
and said we could come get Thai.  She was
finished.  The lady described the wedding night
to me.  "She was so cute.  She just hid her head
under the shelf, but the sire got to her anyway."
I watched the progress of the pregnancy
carefully.  She grew like she'd swallowed a
football sideways, its two points sticking out of
her sides.  She started giving birth early one
morning when I was just about to go to school.  I
stayed for the first three kittens.  Again, she
found her nest in the linen closet.  Then I
gathered my books up and headed for the front
door.  But Thai got up in the middle of her
labours and chased me, then paced back and forth
in front of it, begging me to stay.  I gave up my
plans to go to school, and returned upstairs
where Thai gave birth to two more kittens.

	After allowing her her time in the linen
closet, I transferred her and the five newborns
to the cardboard box I'd placed near my bed.  I'd
lined it with soft linens and towels.  She was
quite content in the box.  I went downstairs and
was sitting on one of the stools that stood
around the formica island in the kitchen, when
Thai came down, leapt up onto the empty chair
beside me and rubbed up against my face, standing
on her hind legs to reach me.  She was proud of
herself and was thanking me for staying.  That
night in bed, as I lay there trying to sleep,
Thai jumped up onto the bed, and deposited a tiny
kitten, its eyes swollen shut, onto the pillow
next to my head.  Then she jumped back down and
fetched another kitten which she dropped on the
pillow.  I picked up the kittens one by one and
carefully placed them back in the box.  But she
kept carrying them in her mouth up to my pillow
as fast as I could return them.  Finally, I had
to give up, and just shrank back against the
wall, afraid to death that I might roll over them
in my sleep.  Therefore I barely slept.  All
night Thai nursed her kittens on my pillow right
next to my face.  I petted her, sang to her, and
finally fell asleep.  All five kittens were
mewling and ecstatic in the morning.  These were
the sleeping arrangements for the next few weeks.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net