TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 103

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Dec 28 16:24:21 PST 2006

December 28, 2000000000006

Dear On-line Crew,

	As I write, my internet connection is
mucked.  I cannot get e-mail.  I cannot get onto
the internet.  Meyshe is particularly upset
because he goes on line and plays chess and Go
with people from all over the world.  I had a
dream about him last night.  I was sitting in the
audience watching a show.  At one point, there
was a line of actors in front of us, all
pretending to be in a car, and jostling about in
unison.  Meyshe was sitting next to me in the
front row.  And he got up and tried to join the
actors.  I tried to restrain him, telling him
that he was not part of the show.  It felt bad
for me to do that, but I had to.  He kept saying,
"It's better if we all go".  One of the actors
actually said to me, "It's all right.  Let him."
But I knew it wasn't all right, and I tried to
keep Meyshe in his seat.  The whole thing made me
so sad that I started to cry, my shoulders
shaking, my heart breaking.  Feyna was sitting on
the other side of me, and she noticed that I was
crying, said, "Oh, Mom!" and comforted me.  Then
I cried all the more, because I didn't want my
grief to affect her.  I didn't want her thinking
that she had to take care of me.

	I woke up, wet eyed.

          §§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

What she was here for

	I don't remember if it was Miss or Mrs.
Hedricks who was the sewing teacher at Willard
Junior High School.  This was the eighth grade,
and all the boys took shop while all the girls
took, "Home Economics,".  Home Economics was a
euphamism for cooking and sewing.  They would
have had us diapering baby mannequins if they had
the funding, and teaching us how to mix a martini
for our husbands' grand arrival home after a day
of earning the bread money.  It was all swallowed
whole back then.  And even if you resented it,
which I did, you didn't think of why.  You just
accepted the inequality as one more thing that a
girl has to do that a boy doesn't.  One more
thing a boy gets to do that a girl doesn't.

	In cooking class, which was the first
semester, there was a big class room that had
clusters of kitchens.  It was like a laboratory
class.  There would be four girls to each
kitchen.  In the kitchen would be a stove and
oven, a sink, a refrigerator and cabinets.  In
the cabinets were supplies like flour, sugar,
salt, pepper, canned goods, and in the drawers
were tools like beaters, whisks, measuring
spoons, rolling pins.  It's a wonder they didn't
have us ironing, making beds, wiping noses.  And
did the boys get lessons on how to buy flowers if
they'd been bad?  No.  They got to turn wood on a
lathe, and make tongue in groove joints.  They
drilled holes and glued and clamped and operated
dangerous machinery.

	Back in cooking class, we were to keep
notes in a kitchen diary.  Every class had a
cooking project, and we were supposed to keep a
running commentary on our experiences with the
ladles and spatulas, the  mashers, blenders and
bowls.  One lesson was given over to making
meringue.  The separating of eggs was a big
mystery.  Take the yolks and put them in one bowl
and put the albumen in another.  Not a fleck of
yolk should contaminate the whites, because we
had to whip the whites until they were stiff and
formed peaks when shaped with a spatula.  We were
told that even a tiny dot of yolk would spoil the
whipping.  The four of us paired off and each got
a turn at cracking the eggs, then using the
broken shells to pour the yolk back and forth
from one shell to the other until all the whites
were emptied into one bowl and all the yolks into
another.  But ours had a tiny error.  Just the
slightest jot of yolk had ruptured on the edge of
the broken egg shell and contaminated the whites.
My partner and I decided that this miniscule
amount of yolk couldn't possibly make a
difference.  And we were only given so many eggs
each, so we didn't have much of a choice.  We
beat those whites until our arms were sore, but
they wouldn't rise or stiffen.  They remained a
dull grey and liquidy mix in the unhappy bowl.

	I noted this in my kitchen diary.  "When
they say you can't let any yolk at all get into
the whites, they really mean it.  None at all.
Or you will fail like we did."

	The teacher took great pity on me and
gave me an A for caring so deeply, and for my
perception about the yolks.  It was a decade
later that I learned to separate the whites from
the yolks by cracking the egg into my hand and
letting the albumen seep between my fingers while
the yolk stayed behind in my palm.  We made
tamale pie, biscuits from a mix, custard, fried
chicken, and brownies.  By the time we graduated
from cooking class, we were ready to get married.

	You don't actually need to know how to
sew to survive in the modern world, but sewing
was the second  semester.  And this is where Miss
or Mrs. Hedricks came in.  She was a monster
teacher.  Everyone hated her, except Carol Jurs
who was the teacher's pet.  It was rudely
obvious.  Anyone else could get a tongue lashing
for what Carol would get praise for.  Hedricks
fawned on her, and held her up as an example for
the rest of us miscreants.  She took it all in
with marvellous grace, and held it over all of
our heads, saying she could get us in trouble if
she wanted to, that Hedricks was wound around her
little finger.  Carol Jurs was one of those
tomboys who hogged the ball in team sports, and
excelled at kicking, running, leaping and aiming.

	Miss or Mrs. Hedricks knew that most of
us hated her and that didn't improve her mood
any.  She was missing her left ring finger and
legend had it that she sewed over it with a big
old singer sewing machine.  I eyed her hand
surreptitiously and gasped quietly.

	In sewing class we worked from patterns.
She would have us write down what pattern we were
to purchase at Hink's, and we'd go there and get
them.  Butterick.  I remember Butterick, makers
of fine patterns the world over.  We each got a
singer Slant-o-matic sewing machine and we
learned how to fill a bobbin with thread, and how
to thread the sewing machine.  Then the first
project was,  ta da!, making an apron.  An apron!
How convenient.  We worked our way up through the
sewing projects until finally we were to make a
skirt.  We got our patterns at Hink's.  And this
pattern required a zipper.  Do not take your
zippers for granted, ladies and gentlemen, for
they are the most impossible things to install.
I read all the instructions on the black board,
and followed them to the letter.  My zipper was
all goofy and not matched up.  I had to take it
apart and start over again.  This time, I was
specially careful to follow those instructions to
the last little detail.  No soap.  The zipper had
to be torn out again.  After three tries and
three times ripping out the zipper I finally
approached the fearsome Miss or Mrs. Hedricks, in
deep frustration, and asked her what to do.  I
showed her my botched job attached, as it was, to
my aquamarine gathered skirt.  I asked for her
help.  This was a brave move.

	"Go follow the instructions on the board!
Read the instructions!" she snapped.

	"But I did.  It didn't work.  I tried."

	She screamed at me, "Go back and read the
instructions.  That's what they're there for.
I'm not here to answer your questions!"

	I looked at her, non-plussed.  I checked
what she had said to me against all logic and my
mouth fell open.  I made the mistake of using my
voice.  "Then what ARE you here for?"  I asked in
complete innocence.

	"You have a sharp tongue, young lady!"
Then she elaborated on the theme, dressed me up
and down.  Told me I was cocky and useless.  "Go
back to your machine, and follow the
instructions.  Any idiot can put in a zipper!"
She ripped those words right out of her throat
and beat me with them.  I went back to my machine
and cried.  I had a sharp tongue, but I was
bettered by Miss or Mrs. Hedricks, who made my
life miserable for a whole semester.  I guess
that's what she was there for.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA