TheBanyanTree: Thirty Five Dollars

paul paul at remsset.com
Wed Dec 27 15:44:52 PST 2006

I'm that much poorer and it's my own fault.

I have three $5 Blockbuster gift cards.  They came from work as "checker
rewards" and they have been playing hide and seek around the house for
at least a year.  Blockbuster is not a place I shop as I don't rent
tapes and they are almost 20 miles away.

I went to Wal-Mart today.  Only for blank CD-R discs but you know how it
goes... $23 for 100 discs and the bill was almost $60.  :)  Hey, I'm
there, might as well get shampoo and other bathroom stuff.

So.  Out to the truck.  Open the passenger door and put my purchases in.
  I don't know why I laid the key on the seat.  And I'm wondering what I
can get at Blockbuster.  Maybe the new Superman movie?  Because I'm not
going home, I reached over and hit the door lock.... I didn't have time
to even try to make the door shut on my hand.

Duh.

Can't call anyone, the phone is in the truck.  The spare key in the
glove box is just as helpful.

Back into Wal-Mart.  They don't have the tools needed to break into a
car.  They did suggest calling the towing company that advertises on the
back cover of the phone book.

When did payphones go to 50 cents?  Anyway, half an hour later the kid
shows up.  Fifteen minutes later the door goes "click"

Blockbuster will have to wait.

The spare key is now behind the license plate.  I'll never need it again
but that's ok.

--

paul

    The probability of someone watching you is
    proportional to the stupidity of your action.