TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 103

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Fri Dec 29 07:36:53 PST 2006

Quoting Tobie Shapiro <tobie at shpilchas.net>:

> 	I don't remember if it was Miss or Mrs. Hedricks who was the sewing
> teacher at Willard Junior High School.  This was the eighth grade,
> and all the boys took shop while all the girls took, "Home
> Economics,".  Home Economics was a euphamism for cooking and sewing.
> They would have had us diapering baby mannequins if they had the
> funding, and teaching us how to mix a martini for our husbands' grand
> arrival home after a day of earning the bread money.  It was all
> swallowed whole back then.  And even if you resented it, which I did,
> you didn't think of why.  You just accepted the inequality as one
> more thing that a girl has to do that a boy doesn't.  One more thing
> a boy gets to do that a girl doesn't.

I don't know if this is any consolation, but when my son was in eighth
grade, he, and all the boys, had to take "Home Economics", which is now
called "Family Science".  What are the elements that go into making a
family?  Obviously, someone who knows how to cook, someone who knows
how to sew on a button, and someone to change the baby.  Mix these
elements together in a three-bedroom, one-and-half-bath beaker, and
there you go--a family.  It's science!  Andy made cookies, sewed
himself a sweet pair of boxer shorts, and has some experience with
rubber babies with timers in their bellies (although his baby was
obviously defective because it never cried, not once in the whole
weekend it lived with us).

Shop class is not offered anymore.  Apparently some student's family
gave the schools a stiff lesson in liability laws somewhere along the
way.  All those saws and smoldering soldering irons.

I credit Junior High Home Ec class for the upsurge I've seen in women
my age who refuse to cook.  Sure, it was really "women's lib", but Home
Ec class, which lagged behind by at least a couple of decades, really
drove the point home.  Most of us were incensed by the apron project
and the meatloaf project.  Many of us would've loved shop class.  But I
do find it unfortunate that many of my women friends find cooking
abhorrent and against their feminist values because someone told us at
a young age that it was something we had to do.  Some of them go so far
as to hint that I may have gone over to the dark side because I cook
and bake, can knit a scarf, crochet a granny square, and employ my
sewing machine to slipcover a cushion.  What the hell's wrong with me?
Why do I even own a sewing machine?

I actually love to cook now.  I think it's a key ingredient in my
personal health that I can cook.  I think of it as a tribute to my
mother and grandmothers, not a curse, that I picked up some of their
culinary skills.  Several of my female friends have become dependent on
their husbands who cook because they absolutely can't or won't.  And,
honestly, that isn't a very liberated idea, is it?  Isn't it the ideal
that both people can generally take care of themselves if necessary?
Not that one person can't be the main cook and bottle-washer if things
play out that way, but that the other is prepared to step in, and even
volunteers to step in and switch roles when needed.  I see cooking as
an important "personal" skill, rather than a "family" skill.

Anyway, food for thought.  Thanks for the sharing your buffet, dear heart.

Julie