TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 99

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Dec 24 09:31:54 PST 2006

December 24, 200000000006

Dear Pipple,

	I hear Meyshe laughing hysterically from
his room.  He has an unusual laugh.  "Heh heh
hooooya.  Heh heh heh.  Yee eee heh heh heh."  I
used to wonder if laughs were inherited.  I can't
remember if I laugh like my mother.  This is sad,
folks.  I haven't laughed in so long that I don't
remember my natural laugh.  I guess this divorce
has taken more out of me than I care to think.  I
used to laugh all the time.  But now, I can
listen to a good joke, find it funny, yet not
laugh.  I just sit there watching a comedy, my
face blank.  Maybe I laugh inside but it doesn't
surface, or change my expression.  This has got
to stop!  And something else has got to begin,
and it better be happier.

                   ÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆ

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
                     hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Channamas

	While I was growing up, Channukah was a
big holiday.  We lit the candles every night, but
no one knew the prayer in Hebrew, so we just lit
the candles.  And no presents were exchanged.  We
saved that for Christmas day.  On Christmas day,
the whole family would get together and bring the
carload of presents we'd gotten for everyone.
We'd go to my Uncle Harold's and Aunt Ruth's
house on Aptos Avenue across the street from the
junior high school where my cousins, Marcie,
Donnie and Alan used to go to use their
basketball hoops.  Harold and Ruth were a tough
couple.  It's hard to explain the relationship
between my mother and her older brother.  When
they were kids, he was jealous of her, and
treated her very badly.  He teased her and hit
her and made her scream, and scared her with
awful stories about dead cats in the alley.  When
my grandparents told him to help teach Mickey how
to ride a bicycle, he put her on the bike, held
on to it, then let go, said, "Ride," and walked
away.  Naturally, she fell over and scraped
herself up.  The bicycle never did come back to
my mother.

	When they grew up into adults and had
children of their own, the relationship didn't
mellow much.  Harold criticized my mother's
housekeeping and criticized her mothering.  When
my mother picked us up or rocked the cradle when
we cried, he scolded her, saying that she was
spoiling us.  She should let us cry.  He was of
that school.

	And Ruth, Harold's chosen life partner
was no better.  In fact she was worse, because
she planned her meanness. She crafted social
tortures for my mother and carried them out.
When a crowd of people were invited over to play
bridge, everyone was assigned a table for four,
except my mother.  Ruth told her, "I knew you
didn't like playing bridge," and left her on the
couch with no one as company, while everyone else
sat at their tables and played.   I have never
figured out, nor has my mother, why Ruth despised
her so.  We wondered if maybe Ruth was angry at
my mother for having three bright, normal
children, when Ruth and Harold's third child,
Alan was retarded.  But that couldn't explain the
whole barrage of attacks against my mother, and
besides, Ruth was like that before Alan came
along.  I imagine what it must be like to be that
way, jealous and bitter, vengeful, having a list
a mile long of people I'm not talking to because
of some minor infraction of what I deemed to be
etiquette, looking down on so many other people
that the eyes must wear a permanent dip in the
middle of the lower lid.  My mother was always on
guard when we went to Ruth's and Harold's house
for any of the holidays.

	Up until the time I was about nineteen,
Christmas was always held at their house.  They
had a tree.  It would be an aluminum tree, shiny
pink with pink bulbs.  It would stand in front of
their piano which they had stained white, and
they set up a little spot light with a rotating
colour wheel in front of it, so the tree would
get a bath of red, blue, yellow, or green light
on it.  I always regarded Christmas trees as
something Jews shouldn't have.  I never had a
desire for one, and would have been happy
celebrating Channukah with the extended family,
and forgetting the big to do at Christmas.  But
for my Grampa, who owned Western Slope Sales
Service, a stationery, novelty and toy wholesale
company, for my cousins once removed, Doris and
Norman, who owned King Norman's Wonderland of
Toys, and my great Uncle Al and Great Aunt Gussie
who owned the Bell Bazaar, Christmas was truly
the first break they got in a busy hectic season.
So Christmas day made some sort of sense.

	All in all, we were an assimilated
family, more than reform Jews, even lapsed.  It
seemed my great grandparents undertook the life
and death risk of fleeing Lithuania, the pogroms,
the fierce injustices and rabid anti-semitism,
then suffered the poverty of immigrants in the
United States, all for the freedom to be Jewish
without persecution, so that a hundred years
later, their descendents could forget it all.
That thought rolled around in my head as I
watched the monochromatic Christmas tree and the
piles of presents wrapped in Santas and sleighs
at my Harold's and Ruth's place.

	We would all assemble on available chairs
and couches in their basement recreation room,
and my Grandfather Benny would wade into the
enormous mountain of gifts and hand them out to
the nice Jewish family.  After all the presents
had been opened and the heap of ribbons and
wrapping paper had grown to unmanageable
proportions, the kids would take their presents
out for a trial run.  One year, Donnie, Marcie
and Alan got a bumper pool set, and while they
were outside trying out their new bicycles and
pogo sticks, my sister and I played bumper pool.
Unfortunately, I beat her, because her fury in
defeat nearly broke the cue stick over my body
and scraped a good rift in the green felt surface
of the pool table.  Balls were everywhere.  There
was always some nasty scene on Christmas.  It
usually involved my father , my sister and my
uncle Harold, who used to love to tease Dana
until she threw a loud fit.  My father would get
into political debates with the conservative side
of the family, and he would lose his temper quite
dramatically.  These were festive occasions.  I
usually ducked my head down to avoid being
eliminated in the cross fire.

	Then, my mother made the mistake of
allowing Marcie to stay with us when Uncle Harold
and Aunt Ruth kicked her out of their house for
dating a black man.  From that moment, Ruth and
Harold refused to speak to my mother.  Harold
would step back from my mother at family
gatherings when she tried to say hello.  They
wouldn't set foot in our house.  This one sided
feud went on for over thirty years and tore the
family to shreds.  From then on, Christmas for us
was held at Grama's and Grampa's house without
Ruth's and Harold's family.  Behind the scenes,
secret negotiations took place every once in a
while, but the hostility from Harold only
subsided after Ruth died, a vicious and cold
woman who had nurtured the warfare as fondly as
my mother spoiled her children.

	After Ruth's death, Harold spoke to my
mother again.  And by the time he passed away, he
was calling her sweetheart.  These internal
battles wind up as a paragraph in a page: thirty
years of antagonism and ferocity, for a few cheap
sentences during a look back in a witness's
retelling.

	After my grandparents and my aunt Belle
died, our celebration finally gave up on
Christmas.  We choose a weekend day during
Channukah and hold our annual potlatch then.
This works for everybody, because it eliminates
the problem of mixed marriage families where they
used to have to juggle which family to visit on
Christmas.  This way, they can do both.  But now,
on Christmas day, there is nothing much to do but
go out to the movies or a Chinese restaurant for
dinner.  I heard that once, in a theater in New
York City, on Christmas day, a rabbi,
contemplating the predominance of Jews in the
theater that day, broke out into singing a well
known Jewish song, and bit by bit the audience
joined him until the whole theater was singing.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net