TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 100

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Dec 25 07:43:30 PST 2006

December 25, 2000000000006

Dear Happy Mediums,

	Today is Christmas.  Things ought to calm
down a bit after today.  Then there will be the
work up to the big new year's eve celebrations.
I've never gotten much out of new year's eve.  I
can't get worked up over the ball falling in
Time's Square, three hours earlier, but broadcast
every hour for repeated new year's eve
countdowns.  I usually go to bed whenever I
usually go to bed, and sleep through it, unless
some fire cracker wakes me up at midnight.  Oh, I
know, "Bah, humbug!".  There is a little bit of
the curmudgeon in me.  But that disappears when
anything is involved with my children, or playing
chamber music, or reading good literature, or
listening to classical music, or global ethnic
music, or, or, or.  There are a million "or"s.
We all have our points of ecstasy.  Mine are
numerous.  But they aren't the new year's eve
ball dropping in Time's Square.  Anyway, today is
Christmas.  So Merry Christmas to all you who
celebrate it.  May today be a blessing for you
and yours.

žžžžžžžžžžžžžÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍžžžžžžžžžžžžžžžÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍžžžžžžžžžžžžžžžžÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍžžžžžžžžžžžžžž

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
                         ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Let Us Start at the End

	At nine o'clock, the telephone rang.  I
heard it from my position between my twins.  This
was the last phase of our bed time ritual.  They
were nine years old, and shared an alcove down
the hall from David's and my bedroom.  Every
night, I put them to bed in the same way.  First,
we would get them into their pajamas, which
consisted of an oversized t-shirt that came down
to their knees.  Then we'd play a game in the
dark.  One of our favourites was, "Invention".
One person would call out the name of an
invention and the other two would have to
simulate it with their bodies.  For a
refrigerator, one might form a cavity, and the
other might be the door.  For a chair, one might
be the cushion and front legs, and the other
might be the back and the back legs.  We did
cars, telephones, beds, howdahs, doors,
televisions.  It was a good game.  We also
played, "Find mama in the dark," and, "tag in the
dark".  After the game, they would climb into
their beds which were futons on the floor set
apart by about a foot.  I would seat myself at
their heads between them, and stroke Feyna's hair
on my right and Meyshe's hair on my left while I
sang to them.  I sang all the songs my grandma
sang to me when I was a child.  Just exactly as
she had sung them.  This is what I was doing when
the telephone rang downstairs.  I prayed it
wasn't for me.

	But soon, I heard David shuffling up the
stairs.  He came up into the alcove and he handed
me the phone.  "It's your mother.  She sounds
upset."

	I rose from my place between them and
took the phone around the corner.  I could feel
Meyshe and Feyna listening.

	"I think this is it," she said, her voice
jumping.  I'd never heard my mother sound like
this.  She was usually so calm, so steady,
someone to rely on for any emergency, slow or
fast.  Now, her voice was leaping high, then
whispering, then low.  There was panic in it.
And she sounded almost as if she were going to
cry, which never happened.  My mother just
doesn't cry.  How she managed the stoicism while
we were growing up is beyond anyone's ken.  She
had a house full of children, all strong willed
and hyperactive, and one of her children was her
husband whose behaviour was often designed to
cause the maximum torment to all those around
him.  He was jealous and competitive, scheming,
selfish, manipulative, argumentative, bellicose,
sexually twisted, given to tantrums and sudden
outbursts.  How could she not have thrown up her
hands and surrendered her soul to agony?

	"What happened?"

	"We were out.  Justin was playing chamber
music, and I told him we should go home early
because he said he didn't feel well.  I should
have made him go home.  It's my fault.  He was
playing and then suddenly he said, "Mickey, I
can't," and fell over on his back.  The
paramedics are working on him now.  I think this
is it."

	"Mom.  Calm down.  It's probably not it."

	"Why?"

	"I just don't feel like this is it."

	"You don't?"  I could tell she was
thinking of me as a seer, someone with an angle
on the future.  Someone magic who could make it
all go away.

	I agreed to leave the house and meet her
at Alta Bates Hospital emergency room.  That's
where they were taking him.  On my way there, I
thought of the warnings I'd gotten from so many
people:

	"Watch out for the death of the parent
you have conflicts with.  It'll floor you."

	So, I was ready to be floored.  I didn't
have such a simple thing as conflicts with my
father.  I had gaping chasms.  He was insane, a
narcissistic sadist with no boundaries.  He made
toys of the people around him and used his
children like they were his laboratory rats.  I
had been his target, the chosen one.  I endured
the sexual abuse, the psychological torture.  He
ruled the house.  The one who behaves the worst
writes all the rules.

	Why did he choose me?

	When I arrived at the hospital, I was
floored by all the other people waiting.
Sitting.  Idle.  Watching the television.  They
were lame and halt, sad and antsy. No one had
anywhere to go but here in the hospital.  Waiting.

	We were put in an isolated room, off of
the main waiting room.  And we sat there, not
talking.  My mother remained motionless.  She sat
in her chair about to be given a sentence.  The
doctor would come in eventually, and give us the
story.

	How do I fix my mother?  How do I pull
her pieces together?  What can I do to stitch her
seams to keep  her whole?  I'd done this all my
life, through the awful fighting with my father.
From morning to night, they fought.  He baited
her.  She bit.  Through the abuse that she would
refuse to see, through her depressions, through
the anguish of her marriage.  And here it was.
Maybe this was it.

	The doctor came in finally and began,
"Let us start at the end.  He has died."

	My mother didn't cry.  She didn't stir.
Her face registered no surprise; her body did not
receive a blow and recoil from it.

	What I felt was relief.  Only relief.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro