TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 98

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Dec 23 08:41:58 PST 2006

December 23, 20000000000006

Dearly Beloved,

	The sun isn't up yet, but Î am.  It's
this circadian rhythm thing that's going all
wrong with me.  Suddenly, I'm off kilter, getting
up early, even though I'm going to sleep late.
And I've got to say that it's not happy that I
get up on a Shabbos morning, a day when I could
sleep in until I darn well felt like it.  Well,
pretty soon, the drugs will kick in and I won't
feel so tired.  (This was meant as a joke).

	My mother gave me some thermal pajamas
for Channukah.  They're really quite pretty: pink
with deep blue, orange, and red flowers dotting
the material.  The material is velourish and is
cross hatched with grooves.  I hadn't worn them
yet until last night.  Last night I thought I
would surprise my mother and put them on.  We
were about to watch a movie, and wouldn't it be
nice to show up in my new pajamas?  So I open the
drawer and hear a knock on the door.  I close the
drawer.  "Can I come in?" asks my mother.
"Sure!" I say.  She stands by the door and says,
"When are you going to wear the pajamas I gave
you?"  "Rats!"  I sigh.  "I was just about to put
them on.  You ruined it."  She got a little
flustered and then told me that what I should
have done was to have said, "I'll get around to
it," and then wear them to surprise her.  "Well,
it's too late for that, now," I groan.   Then I
think of what she'd told me to do, fake that I'm
not going to wear them, and then wear them.  So I
say, "Well, I can't wear them now."  She got all
huffy and snarled, "Well of all the . . ." and
slammed the door.  I got into my usual pajamas:
an oversized XXL men's undershirt and long
flannel pants, and decided not to watch a movie
after all.  I'd just write in my journal and then
read forever, and then sleep for however long my
body would let me.  Then I heard my mother out in
the hallway sounding cheerful.  "Are we going to
watch a movie?"  "But you screamed at me and
slammed the door for no reason at all.  You hurt
my feelings and made me mad."  She sounded meek,
then.  "Can I apologize?  Can we be nice to each
other?  I'm sorry."

	So I went downstairs and watched the
movie, a depressing thing with Gabriel Byrne
about a vermisht family in Swaziland right at the
time of independence.  The parents split up.  The
mother runs away with someone else's husband.
The father becomes an alcoholic.  A BAD
alcoholic.  The kid is dealing with abandonment
and alcoholism, and you can see the trouble this
is causing him.  The father sends the boy off to
boarding school.  When he comes back, his father
has remarried to an American woman he met three
weeks ago.  He's now a raging alcoholic.  Two
personalities.  Oh it gets complicated.

	The American wife finally leaves because
of the alcoholism after the father gets good and
snockered again and gets violent, attempts to
shoot his son.  Then he goes off to the doctor
who prescribes him pills that he can take that
will make him dead sick if he touches a spot of
alcohol (well, isn't he dead sick anyway when he
takes a spot of alcohol?).  He is miraculously
cured.

	Then the mother comes back, but it turns
out she's just come back only because her new
husband was shipped off to Peru.  So she's out of
the picture again.  The American comes back.
She's a good egg.  No pomp and a good antidote to
all the British formality and social climbing,
stiff etiquette and toadying to nobility.  There
are several idyllic scenes where the little
family unit is happy together: the no alcohol
daddy, the happy son, the American wife in love
with her British husband in dear old Swaziland.
Then, of course, the father develops a brain
tumour.  They operate, but he only has two months
to live.  He dies, and everyone cries and the
last shot is of the boy, now 14, standing near
the gaping hole of the freshly buried coffin,
with two friends on either side of him.  The
camera pans up, sad music plays, and you wonder
why you watched it.  It's called Wah-Wah, for
those of you who are ready for that kind of
movie.  I wasn't.

	Now, it's morning, and I did put on the
new pajamas.  I'm sitting here in front of my
computer.  My mother will get up at 8:00, as
usual, and come into the room.  Maybe she'll
notice the pajamas under the robe, maybe not.
But I'm giving this a shot.  It's worth a shot.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
                                    ÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔÔ
                                     ½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½

Doing the Right Thing

	In my rudderless voyage chasing the music
business, I met many celebrated people and got
used to standing in the same room with fame and
fortune.  It was not hard.  For some reason, I
was just not affected by the glimmer or
notoriety.  I've never followed the National
Enquirer, or People Magazine, or even the front
page of the local rag to get the latest on which
famous person is doing what with whom, and where.
The famous people in the music business can be
delightful or shitheads.  The fame has little to
do with it.  I just treated them as I would treat
any complete stranger: with kindness respect and
amicability.  This worked well.  Sometimes it
caught them off guard, because they were used to
nervously quaking oblati hanging on their every
word, mesmerized and overwhelmed by their very
presence.

	I got advice from people who had moved
around in the biz that I should make a
demonstration tape of something like four songs,
and then take this tape around to as many big
wigs and A & R directors in record companies as I
could.  What was my goal?  Well, I thought my
goal was to get a recording contract.  I
envisioned becoming famous myself, lifted
suddenly out of my anonymity and victimhood in my
family unit, to untouchable stardom.  No one
would abuse me any more.  My father, who was
excruciatingly affected by fame and status, would
be rendered impotent.  And my mother would be
proud.  I didn't contemplate what sort of life I
wanted to live, nor whether I was suited to the
pressures of composing on demand, pleasing
audiences, or keeping up appearances.  In my
mind, my life would go on exactly as it had, but
I would be famous and rich.  So, I thought I
wanted a recording  contract.  Maybe I did.
Maybe there was some way to write music without
having to tour and perform it, or without having
to pay the dues of poverty and rejection before
my sudden rise to fame.  The advice was to make a
demonstration tape.  I asked the same woman who
advised me, how to do that, and she gave me a
name, David Litwin, to contact.  See what he can
do for you.

	David Litwin was a full time composer who
worked at Different Fur recording studios in San
Francisco.  He was about five years my senior,
and he had his degree in music from a prominent
university.  His job was to arrange songs, do the
boss's bidding, musically, bring business to the
studio and get paid peanuts for it.  I met him
there at Different Fur and brought my guitar.  I
played a few songs for him.  He was impressed.
He said that we should select four songs from my
repertoire and work on arranging them for a demo
tape.  We would work together.  I came into the
city several times, just to sing more of my
repertoire for him.  He was a New Yorker, and
smart as a whip, clever, and oozing with
sensuality.  We joked around well together,
worked well together, stirred up a large mess of
hormones.  Our flirting was stellar.  It was too
long before I found out that he was married.  I'd
already fallen for him in a big way, and couldn't
that he was married, and from what he said, he
was not a very faithful husband.  That frightened
me.  If he were not a faithful husband, then our
flirtation was not safe.  It could erupt into a
love affair.  I had never had an affair with a
married man, and I didn't want to start.  In my
mind, he was off limits.  But we still flirted
outrageously.

	We selected the four songs and went into
the studio to make them real.  If anything, they
were overproduced: great concussions of
percussion, sweeping teams of string instruments,
lots of synthesizer, which was a new tool back
then.  There was the Moog synthesizer, the ones
that are in museums now, which required miles of
wires looping from this jack to that one, a
tangle of spaghetti.

	When the tape was finished, we
transferred it to cassette and started notifying
whomever we knew.  David Litwin had been hanging
around at a decent recording studio for years
now, and knew many people.  And these people knew
people who knew people.  We were on our way.

	A year earlier, I had flown down to Los
Angeles to knock on doors and play my music for A
& R personnel.  While I was there, I called Frank
Zappa's record company, just on the off chance
that I could get a hearing with him.  The
secretary told me that maybe I should write Frank
a nice postcard telling him about my desire to
play for him.  She gave me the address that would
get the card to him.  So, I wrote a five page
letter instead.  Evidently that captured his
attention, and he called me where I was staying.
We had a brief conversation on the phone and made
an appointment for me to come in and show him
what I was about.

	At the time that I met Frank Zappa, he
was finishing up a rehearsal with his band.  Some
of them gathered around to hear this stranger
sing and play.  I was not nervous.  Is this
because I am crazy, or because I don't have the
nervous gene?  I played the weirdest song I had,
called "Für Harry", homage to Harry Lum, my
Chinese quasi-husband who was in exile from
Berkeley, teaching art near San Diego.

Friday, Friday, Friday,
Well she floated down the clouds
With sausage and some duckies under foot
With pesto enough for both of us
And duckies drawn and quartered,
And sausage overstuffed with bloody carcasses fresh slaurghtered

Friday, Friday, Friday
Well, she cruised to the big SD
With a head so full of clouds she'd saved to share.

Opening her scalp for him
Releasing several latches
Pulling back the skull flaps
By tugging at her catches
The clouds poured out from steamy brains in grey matter sauteed
But still she ever smiled though her synapses were frayed.

'Twas then that wrapping up the gifts in plastic wrap and tin
Her true devotion struck the man, since she had given t'him
And all too late he grabbed her curls to close her open mind
But quite forgot to close within her head a gift in kind.

It didn't matter though,
No, No, No,
For she had got for what she come.
To hug and gift and sweetly fill
The arms of Harry Lum.

	Frank Zappa loved this.  He told me he
had to consult the accountants because, "I don't
know what's commercial.  I just know what's good.
And you're good."  This was heady stuff for me.
Imagine a wild dream sounding like it might come
true.  But in the end, the accountants thought
that I was too risky.  Zappa had just started his
new label,  Barking Pumpkin Records, and they
figured they'd have to sink their whole hopes in
me.  Couldn't do it.  He called me and apologized
again telling me I was good, and I should keep in
touch.

	In the intervening year, I moved down to
Los Angeles, rented a house in El Segundo, right
between the airport and the oil refinery, and
found myself travelling up to the bay area to
make the tape with David Litwin.  Ironic,
actually.  Moved out to risk it all and had to
come back home to do it.  So when David Litwin
and I found ourselves with this tape of four
songs, I thought of recontacting Frank Zappa to
see whether the fully realized versions of my
music would inspire his accountants.

	David flew down to Los Angeles for our
meeting with Zappa.  Frank showed us into his
sound room where all the engineers pulled and
pushed dials and turned knobs.  He put on the
cassette.  We listened.  After a few minutes, he
turned off the tape and said he wanted one of the
accountants to hear this.  When the man came in,
Frank wobbled his eyebrows at him and said,
"Think you'll have any trouble selling this?"  He
played the tape for him.  The accountant said
nothing.  And we were instructed to wait to hear
their verdict the next day.  So we were going to
stay overnight in Los Angeles, in El Segundo.
This put us in a predicament.  With all the wild
flirting that we'd carried on, here was the
perfect opportunity to consummate our passions.
All the joking stopped dead, as we drove down to
El Segundo from Los Angeles proper.  It was night
now, dark, and we said very little.  I just drove
my little car until we pulled up into my driveway.

	"Well, this is it,"  I said, and bolted
from the car as if it were on fire.  David got
out slowly and approached the front door with
exquisite caution.  Now I was nervous.

	I went into my purse for my keys.  But I
didn't find them.  No keys.  I went through my
coat pockets.  No keys.  I searched the car.  No
keys.  Here it was, an opportunity to consummate
and for the first time in my life, I had locked
myself out of my house.  It was a sign.

	The surge of hormones popped and backed
off.  Reason set in.  Did I really want to get
between this man and his wife?  No.  I liked her.
And even if I hadn't, did I really want to be
involved with a married man?  No.  I didn't.
While we broke into my house by climbing through
the bathroom window, David remembered some
friends he had off of Mullholland Drive.  He
could stay with them, actually.  All he needed
was a ride all the way back to Los Angeles.  And
as I found my keys stuck on the inside keyhole of
the front door, I agreed to drive him.  It was an
hour's trip each way.  And by the time I
returned, I was dead tired.  In fact, so tired
was I that I ran a red light.  Not that it
mattered in the middle of the night in El
Segundo, but I was the walking comatose.  I have
never locked myself out of my own house since.
It was the right thing to have done.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA