TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 86

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Dec 11 08:44:39 PST 2006

December 11, 2000000006

Dear You Who,

	Yesterday, the family (Meyshe, Feyna,
Gramma and I) went to "Dick and Beanie's".  Dick
and Beanie are a couple who spend much of their
year travelling the world and collecting folk
artifacts of every kind, for resale in the
states.  They open up their house about twice a
year to the public, and everyone files through
gawking at the largesse.  This year most of the
stuff was from Africa.  I'm partial, I think, to
Asian things, but those were far and few between.
Still, Meyshe managed to go through his whole
list and get presents for everyone right there in
Dick and Beanie's basement.  He's fast.  And he's
usually right, too, although, I caught him
collecting a necklace for me, I think, that I
don't like and will never wear.  But it is really
the thought that counts, and I will count the
thought big.  I imagine a life like Dick and
Beanie's.  They finance trips all over the world
by sniffing out and purchasing crate loads of
clothes, sculpture, knick knacks, furniture and
house wares from places far flung, and then come
home and sell them so they can finance their next
trip.  I could never do that.  But I can do this.
So I do.

                           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦

Scandal Wars

	My sister, Dana, dealt with our father
very differently than I did.  Her tendency was to
scream and flail, act out.  She was, and is,
driven to high drama and hyperbole, so there was
plenty of that around the homestead.  But my
father was dramatic, too, just in a different
way.  Maybe his drama was characterized by being
on the level of a two year old, while Dana was
more age appropriate.  In cases where I would
have slipped away into my room, or treated insult
and injury with sarcasm, she would holler in his
face, or issue forth a passionate soliloquy
deserving of applause.  This was why you didn't
want to get the two of them paired off against
each other.  Pretty much, we could be a peaceful
family until you introduced either Justin or Dana
into the mix.  That changed everything.  Both of
them had this in common: they had no concept of
the real consequences of their behaviour, and
acted without regard to them.  The games they
played with other human beings had no boundaries.
Both lived in a world of their own imagination.
Reality intruded occasionally.

	Dana was the firebrand.  I was the
sensitive artist.  Dana marched out of the house
slamming doors and yelling, "Fuck you!"  I inched
my way out the front door and came running back,
insecure, dependent.  When Dana enrolled at the
University of California in our very own city,
she moved out of the house and into a student
cooperative.  She came home frequently enough,
but was glad to be on her own.  That first
semester, there was evidently a scandal in the
co-op dorms.  Young women, who were called girls
then, were found to be sleeping overnight in the
co-op where the young men, who were called men
then, lived.  Dana announced to us in a voice
meant for the stage all about this scandal, and
added with great affect, "And I was one of those
girls!"  She looked over the rest of us for
reactions to her disclosure.  When not enough
shock was registered, she looked awfully
disappointed.  This was her way of leaving the
nest, with fanfare and hot noise.  But my father
had to top her act; this is how he evened the
score.  I swear that this was all played out in
competition for my mother's attentions.

	One day, Dana had a few friends over from
the cooperative.  They were sitting around the
dining room table shooting the breeze, chewing
the fat, shooting the fat and chewing the breeze.
it was an animated discussion among women who
were pioneers, on the front line of the cultural
revolution.  I was busy doing whatever I was
doing, also in the dining room, but mostly
excluded from the conversation.  All this was
going well enough when Justin, who had been
listening from the kitchen, darted upstairs and
then returned with a plastic object in his hand.
He rushed into the room, making sure that his
entrance was noticed.  He announced officially to
the assembled women that he was a member of the
sexual freedom league, and subscribed to "Screw"
magazine.  My mother was not present to be
humiliated.  But I was humiliated for both of us.

	He then took his "Screw" magazine with
him, close by, to an electric outlet in the wall.
He got down on the rug and plugged in his plastic
vibrator, lay down on the floor and proceeded to
massage his neck, his arms, his torso, while he
explained to the assembled crowd that he was of
the opinion that young people SHOULD be animals
and that he truly believed in sexual freedom.
After all, he loved going to the topless clubs on
Broadway in the city, and he thought that he was
an open minded kinda guy.

	The girls, who are called women now, were
startled and confused by his display.  There he
was, lying on the floor, rubbing himself all over
with an electric vibrator, in the round about
shape and size of a penis, his pornographic
magazine opened on his chest, carrying on a nice
speech about his views on sex, all powered by an
overwhelming eight year old boy's sense of
naughtiness.  He was doing something dirty and he
knew it, to his great delight.  Would he shock my
sister and her friends?

	Dana ushered her friends out of the room.
Even she was at a loss as to what to do about the
creature on the carpet.  I picked myself up and
departed for the kitchen.  We all left him lying
there like a turd in the punch bowl, and
reassembled in the next room.  Justin was not to
be discouraged by this abandonment.  He appeared
in the kitchen minutes later, grinning at all the
girls.  He said, "You liked that?  Huh?"  No one
knew what to say.  They filed out of the kitchen
and followed my sister out onto the front porch.
The wind had been taken out of the sails,
however, and a few minutes later, everyone was
making her excuses about leaving so early.  They
were all needed elsewhere, had homework to do,
were late for an appointment.

	And so the score was even now.  One co-op
scandal of a non virgin Dan.  One outstanding
show of sexual perversion of the father.  It was
hard to keep up with them.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA