TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 87

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Dec 12 07:56:06 PST 2006

December 12, 200000006

Dear People of the Tree,

	I was dreaming that someone stole my
suitcase.  There are many dreams I have in which
I'm living out of a suitcase.  I'm at camp.  Or
I'm living in a boarding house.  Or I'm
temporarily living outside in a warehouse that is
indoors but outdoors.  I'm living with a whole
group of other people whose identities are
unknown to me.  And of course then, there's the
suitcase, something necessary if you want to
change your clothes and function.  So someone
stole it.  It was there right after I got up,
even though the bed fell apart.  The bed was on a
platform with other beds right next to it, in a
row.  Mine was the second to the edge.  Now it
was in a shambles and someone had taken the
suitcase which I'd had my hands on only seconds
before.  I'm still trying to shake the feeling
that something has happened that I have to
correct.  I have to go looking for something
essential.  This dream will fade.  Maybe I should
change my clothes?

¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥†¥

Cheap

	Andrew was cheap.  Andrew was so cheap
that he was a legend among his acquaintances.
Andrew was cheap of pocket and cheap of spirit.
In fact, if he'd known what pleasure his circle
derived from talking about how cheap he was, he
wouldn't have been so cheap because he would
never have wanted to give anyone such happiness.
Andrew always got up to go to the bathroom when
the check arrived, never paid his fair share,
pinched half pennies.  He never gave presents and
managed to get someone else to pay for him at
movies, museums, events of every kind.  He never
gave of his time and energy and was famous with
me for having said in his clipped British accent,
"Surely, you ought to know by now, that I have
only so much to give and only at certain times."

	What a strange combination we were.  I
was generous to a fault, buying for others what I
would never purchase for myself, leaving big
tips, loving my friends openly and lavishing on
them all my energies, willing to drive people to
the airport at odd hours, even foolish with my
profligate ways.  Andrew must have been attracted
to me for that reason as well as others, but this
was the sticking point that stung.  He begged
meals off of me.  We'd go out on his invitation,
his ticket.  He'd promise that this time, he was
paying.  After all, I'd been so generous with
him.  It was the least he could do to repay me.
He'd order the most expensive thing on the menu,
encourage me to be bold and spare no expense.
Then it turned out he'd forgotten his wallet,
"borrowing" again from me what he'd never pay
back.  I remember him reclining in his bed,
flossing his teeth and spitting out the flecks of
food he caught onto the wall.

	What on earth did I see in him?  For so
many of the men I went out with, so many that I
convinced myself I'd fallen in love with, I
cannot fathom in hindsight what on earth
attracted me.  Invariably, the affairs ended in
disaster, with broken hearts and bad feelings,
bad feelings.  With Andrew, I finally got sick of
his mooching and his puny offers of himself.  I
told him at last, in a desperate mood, that he
was cheap, and he hit the roof.  His reaction was
swift and nasty.  He swore at me, called me names
and threw things.  He stamped his feet and cursed
some more.  I stood there, not inspiring him any
further, hoping he would soon wind down and think
about it.  When he quieted, he ushered me out the
front door, keeping all the gifts I'd given him,
plus a lamp and rocking chair that were on loan
from me.  But he called in a day and apologized.
He said he was maybe a little on the cautious
side, but not cheap, and to make amends, he'd
take me out to dinner.

	"No losing your wallet?"

	"I have my wallet.  This one's on me, love."

	I swear that I accepted out of morbid
curiosity.  How would he get out of this offer of
generosity?  He took me to the Chinese restaurant
on the corner near his house, and he ordered one
dish.  He did pay, but he left a tip so low it
was embarrassing and I added into the pile while
he wasn't looking.  After that I lost interest
altogether.  I told him he was incurable and
before he could throw a tantrum, I left, telling
him I didn't want to see him again.  He accepted
this with some shock, but also with what appeared
to me to be a degree of grace.  A couple weeks
later, he timed his arrival in my favourite haunt
so that he could bump into me.

	"I thought right about now you'd be
wanting to see me again," he said, his hat
actually in his hands.

	"You're wrong," I said, not looking up for very long.

	"I've been very upset since our
denouement," he continued, emphasizing denouement
with an exaggerated french pronunciation.  "I
realize how much you mean to me."

	The stinginess of the whole relationship
had worn a hole in my patience, and a bit in my
humanity.  I told him to leave, and to stay left,
that I didn't want to see him about then, and
that I felt much better since our denouement,
which I pronounced in English.  Please go away,
and then I took back the "please".

	"Don't come crawling back to me," he muttered as he left.

	I could look at that whole episode as if
I were a victim of this man's stinginess, the
niggardly withholding of any thing or essence
within his power to give.  But there I was,
continuing on in a relationship with this miser,
well after I knew all about his ways.  What was
it that kept me there?  And I routinely invited
him out if we were going to go out.  Staying with
him was like hitting myself over the head with a
flashlight.  It was punishment.  What had I done
so awful that I needed punishing?  Or why did I
want to credit myself with being a victim of this
man's minginess?  Friends used to blanch when
they learned I was going out with Andrew.  They
couldn't believe it.  He was that famous.  And
then they'd warn me to keep my distance from him,
that he'd bleed me dry.  But I didn't listen
until that final straw.  Still, I left the lamp
and the rocking chair behind, just to avoid
having to deal with him.  When it was over, it
was completely finished.

	I wonder how he's fared, going through
life like that.  I know only one thing about him
since I told him to leave that coffee shop.
Years later, I read an article written by him
under a pseudonym that I recognized.  It was all
about being a cocaine dealer, and how popular
that made him, how the women gathered round and
the men clapped him on the back.  How he'd gone
through how many grams of coke while writing the
story.  Now, there's a drug that would be a
nightmare to a cheap old bastard.

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net