TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 85

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Dec 10 08:06:10 PST 2006

December 10, 200000000000000000000000006

Dear Gang of 200,

	Damn!  I woke up again at six thirty on a
day when I could have stayed in bed until ten.
Just lay there hoping I would fall back asleep,
but I could already feel the engines firing up
and the million homunculi hammering away inside.
Then I heard the shower going.  Meyshe was
already up himself, and taking a shower.  As soon
as he heard me turn off my fan and my noise
machine, he knocked on the door.  "Oh!  You're
up!  Did you hear the shower?"  "Yes, I did."
"Do you know who took a shower?"  "Well, let's
see. . . . Your hair is wet, and you smell like
soap.  I wonder who it could have been.  Hmmmmmm.
Hmmmmmm."  He laughed.  Now he's downstairs
eating his breakfast and pacing back and forth.
Lately, I've been asking him when he's pacing,
hopping, groaning, "Meyshe?  Are you aware that
you're pacing back and forth and making big
noises?"  "No," he'll say, invariably.  He's
said, "Yes", only once.  The idea is to bring it
to his conscious mind.  Then he can control it.
That's what the shrink says.  In fact, that's
what shrinks do.  They make the  subconscious
mind available to the conscious mind, so that we
can alter our behaviour and adapt our feelings.
And does it work?  Look at all the healthy people
out there, and there's your answer.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
                          ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

The Hermit's Drug

	Joe Terry Smith was a good ol' boy from
Kentucky.  He had his southern accent and his air
of gentle familiarity, and he had his gardening
business.  He came to work on my mother's yard
when I was living there in my early thirties.  He
talked to her about the front yard, with all the
stairs and the tiered flower beds, and he talked
to her about the back yard with its wild growth
and undisciplined hedge.  He talked to her about
the two side yards: one long strip on the north,
and a broad band of trees and sickly looking
shrubs on the south.  They arranged for him to
come work on all of it.  His company was called,
Magic Gardens, and he had a truck to prove it.

	He stood in the front hall talking to me
after my mother had gone back to the kitchen.  He
put on all the charm he could muster, which was
considerable, and after a few volleys of
conversation and wit, he asked if I'd go out with
him.  "Fraternizing with the employee," was how
he put it.  I agreed to fraternize.  So we met
one evening in a café.  We talked amiably, and
he, probably going on those subtle cues druggies
give each other, offered that we could go back to
his place and do some cocaine.  This was, in
fact, exactly what I wanted.  I didn't have any
of my own, relying completely on the hospitality
of others.  I  didn't know where to get the
stuff.  I wasn't that involved with it yet.  I
followed him in my car up the curly roads into
the precarious Berkeley Hills, where the streets
are like a diagram of the convolutions of a human
brain.  I can't remember what street he lived on,
nor could I retrace my steps now, which is
unusual for me, and probably has something to do
with the state of my human brain when I visited
him.

	He had the lower portion of a house with
his own side entrance, and a lovely little garden
leading to the door.  There was a small lantern
emitting a soft yellow glow over the lintel.  His
place was a studio apartment.  It was dominated
by his bed which was all sheathed in Indian print
bedspreads and lined with photos of various
global Buddhas.

	"Are you a Buddhist?" I asked him while
he went into a side room to fetch the goods.  He
came back in with a little bag of white.

	"When I want to be," he answered.

	And that just about summed up Joe Terry's
philosophical and spiritual quest.  When it
served, he did, and if it didn't, then he didn't.
He chopped up the cocaine very fine, offered me a
fresh straw and let me go first.  I snapped up my
two lines so fast it could make my head spin.
Then he did his, but he was just refreshing his
previous high.

	"So you met me revved up on coke?"

	"Yes, I did."

	I never experienced the famous, "rush",
that one is supposed to experience with cocaine.
Instead, there was just an obvious difference
between not being stoned, and then suddenly when
it took effect.  But there was never any of the,
"I could conquer the world," or, "I am just the
cleverest fellow 'twas ever your fortune to
meet."  Usually, I was finding, I felt like being
alone and playing music, writing, composing, or
making art work.  It was as close to a hermit's
drug as I could get.  And this was deeply
rewarding, because I'd always been terrified of
being alone.  I didn't have to be in proximity to
the other persons in the house, just so long as
there was another living breathing soul on the
premises.  With the cocaine, I didn't care if I
never saw anyone else again, as long as I had
myself.  This hermetic attitude, in part, has
stayed with me even decades after I last inhaled
cocaine.  I now treasure my solitude, and require
a great amount of privacy.  And before it, there
was none of that.

	There I was, with Joe Terry, stoned
together and not wanting much company.  What to
do?  So we made love.  Now, why is that?
Wouldn't you think that would be the most
intimate activity you could do?  No.  In fact,
sometimes, love making is like separating
yourself into a far off island, big enough only
for your own two feet, cut off from every other
living thing, beyond care or hope, fallen from
grace where you are with your private fears and
disturbances, alone, without language or voice.
This is how I felt as Joe Terry exerted himself
and put me through a number of tantric positions.
We moved towards each other and away, towards
each other, and away, as my mind unravelled my
inner thoughts having not much to do with Joe
Terry.

	I can feel the darkness and remember the
delusion of my own will to be there.  There
really was no purpose in it, other than the
cocaine.  And what was the purpose of the cocaine
if it brought me such blindness and isolation?
Isolation and a pounding heart.  What was the
allure of the white powder?  But it had its
allure, because I had an appetite for the shadowy
bliss of alienation.  After a life of abuse and
fencing with sanity, it was a relief to court the
aloneness instead of yearning for something else.
Why fight the inexorable?  We are alone and
remain alone in spite of popular rumours to the
contrary.  That is how I thought and felt and
lived in my early thirties, bulimic and drugged
on top of it.  The nightmare visits me still when
I am least prepared to recall it.  At that point
in my life, I was off of suicide.  I'd ruled it
out as a romantic exit, so my depression was
complete and safe from the mark of crisis which
at the very least changes the balance of the
psyche, churns it up so you can start afresh,
grateful for life instead of wearied to death of
it.

	My affair with Joe Terry was sustained by
the convenience of his being a drug dealer.  I
was not distracted by perseverative dreams of him
as some love object.  I had no love object.  I
had my creativity, my eating disorder and my drug
of choice.  This occupied my days and nights and
left little room for contemplations of self
improvement.

	I owned a house that I'd bought before
the real estate boom in California.  My three
bedroom craftsman hovel in Richmond Annex,
northwest of Berkeley.  I lived in my mother's
house and rented my house out to solid, reliable
tenants who always paid their six hundred bucks
on time, and caused no damage to the property.
My habit grew to be expensive, and eventually,
all I did was collect the rent and hand it over
to Joe Terry in exchange for seven or eight grams
of coke.  When I bought in quantity, the price
came down considerably.  And each month, the
cocaine lasted me less and less time.  When I had
the drug, that is what I did, going through one
gram in a couple of days and going through the
whole stash in half a month.  Then, I was dry for
two weeks or so and spent my money instead on
food which I consumed and purged, consumed and
purged.  I tried not to think about the whole
thing too much.  Life was depressing enough
without having to face myself.

	Joe Terry and I had our relationship fine
tuned.  I saw him sometime soon after the first
of the month.  I prepared for my journey up into
the hills by converting the rent check into
hundred dollar bills and inserting a well armed
diaphragm.  One month I'd done a few handwriting
analyses at $75.00 a pop.  That gave me two
hundred twenty five extra dollars to spend on
coke.  I called ahead and made my reservation
with Joe Terry.  He said he'd be ready for me.
And I steered my car up into the windy streets of
the Berkeley hills, parked outside and walked
down the path, anxious to break my fast.  I
knocked and heard, "Come in".  When I entered,
Joe Terry was stretched out on his bed,
unclothed.  I took out my wallet and found the
eight hundred dollars in eight hundred dollar
bills.  I came over to kneel by the bed and
arranged the hundred dollar bills one at a time
down Joe Terry's chest and among the clutch of
his pubic hair.  One bill for his penis and one
for each of his testicles.  He gathered up the
money and tidied it into a neat pile, which he
put in his little Buddhist lock box.  He handed
me eight one gram packets of cocaine.  I put the
bindles in my purse into the zip lock bag I'd
brought for just the purpose.  I offered to treat
him, but he had some cocaine all set out on a
mirror.  We sniffed it up and made love.  Then I
cleaned up, thanked him for the ride, went out to
my car and wended my way back home.  By the time
I got upstairs to my room, the coke had worn off
and I opened a fresh bindle.  This round kept me
up with open eye fever for another couple of
hours.  And finally, when I was ready to turn in
for the night, those awful birds were chirping
and the terrible sun was coming up.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA