TheBanyanTree: Christmas Lights

Rob McMonigal trebro at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 23:11:29 PST 2006

The Post-Gazette has a story online today about a local house that lights up
the night every Christmas.

You can find the article here:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06344/744447-58.stm

I am proud to say I remember when they first started this, since their house
is on the way to and from my parents and my current neighborhood.  It
actually goes back further than 12 years, if memory serves--I remember being
about eight or so when I first remember them putting out a nice display.
Could be a few years either way.

The start was rather simple--Santa and his reindeer on the roof, the usual
lights in the tree, some of those tall old candles that no one has anymore,
and a few other things.  This was back before EVERYONE did Christmas
lights--they were a lot more expensive then.  I remember being very upset
because we couldn't do this at my parents' house (you can't see it from the
street).  Eventually, I started decorating at Gram's place, a tradition I
upheld until after I graduated from college.  (It was in fact one of the
first things I used to do after finals.)

As the years passed their home got more and more complex.  People started
pulling off by the side of the road, and everyone in the area knew that
during the holidays, special care was needed on the road, just in case
someone was gawking for the first time.  As holiday lights got cheaper, the
display grew larger.  More lights were added, some in wire meshes shaped ala
the "professional" lights displays, others wedged in wherever space
permitted.  A donations mailbox sprouted, and people gave money that was
then donated.  It was Santa Land.

I look forward to going past it ever year.  It's a sign of the season, and
though it's a shared one with thousands of vehicles, the memories of that
simple intial set up is all mine.

-Rob