TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 84

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Dec 9 08:07:35 PST 2006

December 9, 2000000000000000006

Dear eyes, ears and hearts,

	Today is the tenth anniversary of my
father's death.  It seems like forever, and it
seems like yesterday.  I cannot believe the
relief of the last ten years, how I do not have
to be on high alert for my safety and the safety
of my children.  I don't have to look away when
he enters a room.  I don't have to hate him so
actively to keep his poison from being injected
into my bloodstream.  And his sickness no longer
infects the family.  We are a better group since
his death.

	One of the things Jews do on the
anniversary of someone's death is we light a
thing called a Jahrzeit candle (pronounced:
Yartsite).  It is a candle in a little glass,
that burns for 24 hours at least, and it is just
a memorial to the person who has died.  When my
kids see a candle in the window, they ask, "Who
died?" and I tell them.  We just got through
remembering uncle Max with a candle and now my
father.  Here's the situation: one of the things
I decided quite thoughtfully was not to light a
Jahrzeit candle for my father.  I haven't ever
done so.  But now we live with my mother, and I
know she will light one.  So I'll have to look at
it.  I'm not looking forward to that.  My
children know how difficult my father was for me
and for the family.  I'm sure they'll notice the
candle, but I know they won't say anything to my
mother.  I am not here to convert her.  She knows
how I feel, and we don't talk about it.  That's a
silent agreement we have.  My father is one of
the few things that comes between us.  It hurts.

                              ¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼

The Mysteries of Sport

	My mother tells me that P.E. for her was
a nightmare.  She had flat feet, and the teachers
made her grip marbles in her toes and walk back
and forth across the gym floor.  She hated
sports, and preferred reading.  Plus, physical
efforts, the joys of exercize and exertion were
just absent in our familial culture.  This is on
both sides of the family.  What was emphasized
was your brains.  You couldn't exercize your
brain enough, or too much.  But expecting a smart
Jewish girl to get out there and hit a ball or
run around the track was just not right.  We
looked down on P.E.  It was for other people.

	I was a slow runner, had short little
legs and was always on the small side, so I
didn't measure up to the big strong kids, nor the
ones who were known as jocks.  They were the ones
that you couldn't play team sports with because
they would play for the whole team, hogging the
ball, elbowing the weaker players out of the way,
generally being selfish.  "MINE!" Carol Jurs
would yell, when the ball came sailing over the
net towards me.  And I would give it to her, just
step back and let her have it.  First of all, it
was better for the team, because I might fumble
it, but also, I didn't want to hit the ball and
create another volley.  That would just
perpetuate the game.  My heart wasn't in it.

	Most P.E. teachers were aware that there
were kids like us, and kids like Carol Jurs, or
Patsy Skaggs.  And they treated us just like the
rest, as if we had a natural inclination to run
in circles until we were exhausted, then run some
more, or batter a ball to other players with our
hands, heads, or tools of the game.  When there
was choosing up of sides, I was chosen last, and
there could even be groaning as the unfortunate
team realized it would be stuck with me on their
side.  "Oh no.  We'll never win, now!"  A great
thing to hear, and so conducive to making me like
sports.

	I was good at Red  Rover, though.

	"Red Rover! Red Rover! Let Julie come over!"

	And Julie would run like hell, get a good
momentum going, so she could break through the
enemy line, all of our team holding hands
tightly, trying to resist her force.  I was good
at that because I had strong hands from playing
the cello.  I could grip my neighbors' arms fast
and prevent even the strongest of the other
team's players from breaking through.  But of
course, this just meant they'd try to break the
line somewhere else.

	In the fourth grade, at Oxford elementary
school, in Berkeley, there was a cavernous
basement that was used for recesses when the
weather was inclement.  White painted lines were
put on the floor, making it possible to play
official, full sized games of hopscotch
basketball, four square, track.  This was also
the grand room that all the little school
children would go to when an air raid drill
sounded.  We'd file on down to the cavernous room
in the basement of the school and we'd stick our
heads under the benches that ran the perimeter of
the room.  All our heads protected by our locked
fingers and a puny wooden bench above, and our
asses facing Armageddon.

	Once, when it was raining, we all flowed
into the basement, and I found myself corralled
into playing four square.  That's played with a
volley ball in a big square divided into four
equal squares.  In each square, a player would
stand, and the ball was bounced to other players.
You got one bounce before you had to return the
play.  Three good players, all fifth graders who
had grown the horns and tails in the summer
between fourth and fifth grade, were commanding
the squares.  There was room for only one other
new player.  And the rest of us stood in line
waiting our turn to get creamed.  The fifth
graders cooperated with each other to eliminate
the new fourth player, unless she was one of
their clique, in which case, they played happily
forever, not giving each other any hard serves.
It wasn't fair, but at least they were not, to my
knowledge, on steroids.  When it came my turn,
the three fifth graders actually sniggered.  The
server slammed the ball hard into the far corner
of my square, and I was done for.  Each time it
came my turn, the same thing happened until the
bell rang and released me from the torture of
enforced exercize at recess.

	Sometimes, the P.E. teachers got too full
of themselves.  This happened in Junior High
School.  I was in the ninth grade, and showed up
for P.E., ready to go down to the locker room and
change into my disgusting and revealing P.E.
suit: a white top and blue shorts with an elastic
waist.  But this time, the teacher stopped us and
informed us all that this period, we were going
across the courtyard to the auditorium where we
were going to take a test on basketball.  A test?
In Phys Ed?  We were going to be required to use
our brains?  It was dismaying.  What could we be
asked about basketball?  We hadn't been taught
anything about basketball.  What was this test
for?  But at that age, we are rounded up and
directed by the adult shepherds, and they herded
us into the auditorium where we each chose a desk
and were handed a test.  I remember being
dumbfounded.  I knew none of the answers.  What
did I know from basketball?  So I faked the
answers.  It became a joke.  The questions were
all about the rules of the game, the girls'
version.  We had different rules from the boys.
But I didn't know either set of rules.  There
were some questions about basketball history,
great players, who won what and who played whom.
I forget all of the questions save one, and that
was my favourite.

	"In the year 1891, ___________________________ invented basketball."

	I filled in the blank.  Who invented basketball?  Mr. Basket.

	We never heard about the test after the
taking of it, and they were never corrected and
handed back to us.  So it didn't matter.
Generally, that's how I felt about P.E.  It
didn't matter.  I was raised that way.  Still
today, when I'm asked if I exercize, my routine
answer is, "The only thing I jog is my brain."

                              ¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼¬¼

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net