TheBanyanTree: What I'm afraid of

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Apr 21 07:04:38 PDT 2006

Since I have lived in Florida, lo, these many years, I well know the fear,
preparations, outcomes of hurricane threats. I watch the slow, mapped, trek of
these named storms as they come acroos the Atlantic. Then, it is Russian
Roulette whether they veer northward off the east coast of the country, or duck down
and come into the Gulf of Mexico.  Our town has avoided a direct hit in 100
years. However, I know that our luck clock is ticking, so I moved deep inland .
. where last summer one came right up the spine of the state and flattened
many of those little, poor, rural towns on the edges of swamps. We were lucky
again, and only lost one or two of the 100 or more pine trees on our land.

The big debate here is farm animals: do we tuck them into the barn, which
could tumble down and crush them all, or leave them out and let their natural
instincts hopefully save them?  I left my hardy horses out, and the young stock
in. No harm came to any, though we heard of dairy barns blowing down with the
cows inside, and horses left out to run frantically into fences, or get hit
with flying debris.

Keep your storm tote packed. One cannot have too many flashlights.  And, have
a battery-powered radio so you know what's going on elsewhere. And water,
fill your tub and buy bottled water for drinking. The tub water can be used to
wash up, flush the toilets, and provide animals with water. Plus, you already
have a safe room to ride out the worst.  You might calla friend living far away
where you can hie to if things get too bad or they evacuate the area.  We
chose to ride out the storm, but had friends in Tennessee whee we could run to if
needed.

The storm itself was a screamer.  We kept hearing a deep droning, and learned
it was from the thrumming guy-wires securing the radio tower a mile away. The
trees whipped, branches flew, our lawn chairs ran away, and our pig gave
birth to ten piglets, which is why the lawn chairs ran away. I was out in the
hurricane, midwifing piglets. In the mud and driving rain and howling winds, I was
giving mouth-to-snout resuscitation to struggling piglets. The sharp drop in
barometric pressure caused the sow to go into labor a bit early.  We saved all
but one, and named them all Wilma.

We were without power for a few days, which meant no water, since we have our
own well.  We had minimul flooding in the low parts of the land, but no
damage n the buildings, except one small roof leak which was later repaired with a
bucket of hot tar.and some caulking.

Good luck. A coming storm can be exciting and fearful. I will keep you in my
prayers.

NancyLee