TheBanyanTree: What I'm afraid of

PJMoney pmon3694 at bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 21 04:49:20 PDT 2006

So the forecast is that Monica, now a 4, will turn into a 5 by tomorrow
afternoon with gale force winds affecting Nhulunbuy.

It's been a lovely Wet season here, so far.  Cyclones to the right of us in
Queensland.  Cyclones to the left of us in WA.  Nothing here but lots of
clouds and lots of rain.  Lovely.  Except for Katherine.  They got flooded
again, but nothing like as bad as in 98.

Well.  We'll see what we will see.

And that's the thing.   There's always that twinge of fear when one thinks
about seeing what one will see.

Really we have nothing in particular to be afraid of apart from having no
power and therefore, for me, no TV, no aircon and no internet access.  Our
bathroom is a concrete bunker with a solid wooden door.  I'm pretty sure the
only thing that could kill us in there would be a humungous flood or a
flukishly aimed projectile.

So what I'm really worried about is my comfort.  I don't want to be
uncomfortable.  Don't want to sweat.  Don't want to have to cook on a gas
ring and eat tinned or reconstituted dehydrated food.  Don't want to have to
sleep in an unairconditioned room on a pile of doonas for a mattress, curled
up in a hot heap with the husband, the boy, the dogs and no fan.  Geeze I'm
soft.

It's still a long way away.  Anything could happen.