TheBanyanTree: I'm NOT CHUCK

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue Apr 11 07:27:20 PDT 2006

> Scott Daniels wrote:
>
>> So twice now I've come to my office on Monday morning to find a
>> frantic voice mail.

I've experienced the fun "middle of the night" call from the angry
drunk, looking for so-and-so and not believing that so-and-so is not to
be found at this number.  But how's this for a wrong number:  Late one
night--we were already in bed--the doorbell rings.  I leapt out of bed,
heart pounding out of my chest, operating on the pure adrenaline of a
total shock to the system.  I threw on some clothes laying in the floor
and went to the door, only to find a cop.  My worry gland went into
high gear as I mentally ran through the list of those whom I knew were
safely at home in bed and those I wasn't sure about.  As it turns out,
the cop was looking for "somebody Teague", some first name that started
with a "J", and using the phone book (Is this their best source of
information??) had determined that a "J Teague" lived at this address
(because that's how I'm listed) and decided I might be the person they
were looking for.  I assured them that while I was "J Teague" I was not
a guy, nor did I know (and was no relation to) the Teague they were
looking for.  Wrong number, wrong house, wrong person.

Cripes, it scared me half to death.

Julie