TheBanyanTree: I'm NOT CHUCK

Dee dee.cee at verizon.net
Mon Apr 10 12:19:50 PDT 2006

Scott Daniels wrote:

>So twice now I've come to my office on Monday morning to find a frantic voice mail.

Ah, Scott, folks don't *listen* like they should. You try to put a
clear, concise message on the answering machine so errors like that
don't happen. But the folks leaving their messages are only concerned
with -- well, leaving the messages.

I once had a lawyer leave a message concerning a bill that was overdue.
Trouble is, he was leaving it for someone else entirely and, had he only
listened, he'd have realized he had the wrong number. To make matters
worse, I knew the gentleman he was attempting to reach and I'm sure that
person would not have been happy to learn I was privy to his private
business.

My most startling wrong message was a death threat! Some anguished
individual who was obviously  well behind a few too many libations of
the alcoholic nature assured me he was gonna kill me. Only the "me" in
question wasn't me. I didn't recognize the voice and I'm sure I had
never met him. So I took the tape down to the cop shop and said, "I
don't know how seriously you can take someone who is stupid enough to
leave death threats on a tape but somebody in this town has someone
awfully mad at her and I think you ought to know about it." I never
heard any more about it so I can only hope the fellow had second
thoughts when he sobered up.

Even when you answer in person, folks aren't really listening. The most
amusing experience was when I answered the phone in the book shop.
"Hello. This is the Crime Scene," I said. A very earnest young teenager
began to talk and I soon realized he had dialed the wrong number. Turns
out he was trying to reach the principal of his high school...in another
town. He *heard* me say Crime Scene but apparently it didn't register.
Or else there is something about that school I don't want to know.

Yuppers. Folks just don't listen.

Isn't that right, Chuck? (wiggling eyebrows and grinning)

Hugs, Dee...