TheBanyanTree: This Side

maria gibson spaceforone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 20:07:29 PDT 2006

There he was, suddenly.  From behind the branches of a tree whose leaves
were young and fresh was the face of an old man.  Grinning from ear to ear
with not one tooth.  Round barrel trashcan full of small branches he was
busily breaking even as he was looking at me.  When he saw I had noticed him
he raised one large hand in a hearty wave.  He was the happiest person I had
seen in a long time and he made me the happiest person on the sidewalk,
perhaps in a very long time.  We shouted hellos and I continued on my way
home.  At the end of his driveway, just a few feet from no longer being able
to see him, was another barrel trashcan full of his hard labor.  Seems he'd
been happy there, emmissary to the sidewalk dwellers for, a long time.

God, I love not having a car.

Maria