TheBanyanTree: Wedding Chronicles continued

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Tue Apr 18 18:10:34 PDT 2006

My brother gets to have a pig at his wedding. How jealous am I? Very. His
already sounds like more fun.

Perhaps the pig isn’t going to be at the wedding. The way I hear it is, the
morning of the wedding, they put on their wedding outfits. Then the whole
family (including me, I’m told, which is quite a relief to know I’m still a
member) takes a roast pig over to the bride’s house and the families are
introduced. Then the bride’s family takes half the pig and gives the groom
back the other half and then both families go back to the groom’s house. And
that, my brother says, “sounds like a lot of driving.”

I guess that depends on how far away they live, doesn’t it?

He says I can’t see a picture of him in his traditional Vietnamese wedding
dress. Or outfit. Until the wedding. This makes me sad. As compensation, he
emailed me scads of pictures of his recent trip to Vietnam with his fiancée
and her mother, where many Vietnamese relatives made them welcome. I did get
to see many pictures of a lovely Vietnamese family with a hulking white guy
in their midst. That’d be my brother. Six foot something, four maybe? Or is
it two? I don’t know. My family tends to come oversized, or is it
supersized?

Anyway. I don’t think the pig makes an appearance at the wedding, but I
don’t really know. My brother has always been not nearly as forthcoming with
information as I am (I make up for his reticence by my insistence on
divulging every little detail anyone could ever want to know, and many that
people would rather not hear about at all), so I’m still unsure of what
happens after we go to his house with half of the pig. It probably gets even
better from there.

I’m not sure who’s wedding I’m looking forward to more.