TheBanyanTree: One in Remembrance of My Dad

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 2 20:12:05 PDT 2006

   I've had my dad on my mind today.

    He's always there in some manner, seldom far from many of my thoughts;
sometimes quiet and unassuming, his voice faint as a whisper like in his last
few days with us,  sometimes commanding, like he spoke when warning me as a
child of any imminent dangers, but today, today it was more so than in a long
while.

   He being there's especially true when it comes to major decisions, or my
job, or those "matters of the heart".

   He's been gone for almost 4 years but today, especially so, he's like the
fog of our early April mornings.  It hangs around making its presence known,
not forbiding nor forboding anything, just a cloud settled down close to
earth.  It comes down, hangs around a while and disappears as quietly as it
came.  Wasn't it Mr Sandburg that said it was on little cat feet?

    And  I came across this poem today that so reminds me of him that I felt
he sat beside me again as I read this.  I ask your indulgence in sharing it.

        HAILSTORM

        Colen H Sweeten Jr

I remember the deafening roar,
The wavering fields of wheat,