TheBanyanTree: English Majors are Never at a Loss for Words

Rob McMonigal trebro at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 13:13:24 PST 2006

So today at work, we had a big event. But we only confirmed a very few
people for said event. So they only printed name tags for the people
confirmed for said event.

Which meant that the people who were reigstred but not confirmed got very,
very confused as to why they didn't have printed name tags.

Enter the English Major.

"I'm sorry, there was a computer glitch this morning, and not all the name
tags were printed out. I'm afraid you'll have to settle for the best in
hand-written technology today."

Looks of concern turned to smiles all around for everyone who didn't have a
name tag. I used that line more than a politician does handshakes, and it
worked every time.

Was it a little white lie? Certainly. Did it make them feel better, so that
they could concentrate on the important things, like meeting with the Chefs
and heads of the support departments? Absolutely. I only use my wordly power
for the forces of good, or they take away my cape and spandex.

Everyone was really impressed with my quick thinking and perfect cool at the
check-in table, which was a bit of a sucky job. I would have liked to do
tours, but hey, sometimes in a team effort, you have to be the one that
bunts. Besides, the situation was perfect for me--English majors are never
at a loss for words.

-Rob
who is apparently not at a loss for written words today, either.