TheBanyanTree: Climbing Mount Exmouth

PJMoney PJMoney at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 27 14:53:14 PDT 2005

The only large geographical object I've attempted to climb is Uluru (Ayer's
Rock).  You step up from the sandy desert floor onto a reddish conglomerate
that rises at, ooh, maybe about thirty degrees.  I'm working from a 10 year
old memory so that could be wildly inaccurate.  Think steepish.

Anyway, to the left there is a rock ledge that is very handy for holding
onto to help get you through the first part of the climb.  This ledge is
Chicken Rock.  It extends maybe 100 feet up the slope.  From there one must
climb entirely without aids for another fifty feet or so before reaching the
chain that, very kindly, has been supplied to assist climbers on the really
steep section.

Well, I had the wrong shoes.  They were comfortable walking shoes but had a
rigidity of sole that is entirely unsuitable for unassisted climbing of
steep slopes.  Trying to get over that open piece of ground was just too
scary.  So I turned back.

If I ever go to Uluru again and if the chain has not been removed and
climbing has not been entirely banned, I will take a pair of Volleys and try
again.  Thank you for the tip Peter.