TheBanyanTree: Climbing Mount Exmouth

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Fri Sep 23 04:03:49 PDT 2005

One of my standard CVs, kept for times when serious and po-faced people
demand one, lists my hobbies as walking up small mountains slowly, and
sitting on top of small mountains, wondering how to get down. On Tuesday
I think I supersized my sense of 'small', but I never planned it that way.

We have mainly small mountains in Australia -- the highest peak on the
continent is only about 2200 metres above sea level, and most ranges are
much less. The Warrumbungles is a crop of volcanic remnants in central
New South Wales.

Mt Exmouth is the highest mountain in the Warrumbungles, and it rises to
1206 metres. There used to be a four-wheel drive part of the way up, but
that has long since closed, so I walked all the way from a car park at
about 330 metres. That was where I made my mistake, I think -- I took
the vertical part of the climb from the top of the road, at something
like 750 metres. When I heard the road was closed, I forgot to check again.

The first part, through Burbie Canyon, is suitable even for old-age
pensioners (I met two as I was walking out), and while it rises a bit,
maybe 50 metres, it isn't extreme. Then you come to the old 4WD road,
and that suddenly becomes steep pinch after steep pinch, but it is
pleasant enough if you can make your own pace. You go up a rise, come to
a turn, and are confronted with another rise. In one straight line, it
would be heart-breaking, here, it is constant variety.

I always wear Dunlop Volley sandshoes (which upset our English guide in
the Troodos mountains of Cyprus last year -- she wanted me to wear
boots, until I showed her the soles and explained that roofing
contractors wear nothing else. Her eyes flickered curiously at this
Australian custom, then one of the other Australians in our group
clarified by adding "on their feet"). Sandshoes are lightweight canvas
slippers with thickish rubber soles with amazing traction.

Anyhow, Volleys are traditional with wilderness walkers of a certain
vintage, and I am of that vintage. They let you feel the ground, so I
walk very quietly, especially when I am on my own. The result of this
was that I was frequently alarmed by kangaroos that only saw me at the
last minute. At least I knew they had likewise been alarmed.

600 metres (vertical) and 5 or 6 km (on the ground) above the car park,
you come close to the mountain proper, and from a small saddle, you
start walking up. That was the point where I looked at the map, and
realised my error, that the total climb was more like 850 metres, not
450. I had not looked at the map closely enough, and had assumed the
wrong starting point. Still, having gone that far, I thought I would try
a bit more. My legs were querulous but I spoke sternly to them.

The final climb begins with a narrow track up a scree slope that plunges
away on the lower side, nothing too daunting, but the track drives
eternally upwards, then there is a flat section through trees, then the
way slides up the mountainside again. There was one point where I had to
work around a rock face carefully, with multiple strands of fencing wire
strung between two trees behind me.

It was a bit wet and slippery -- nothing dangerous, but I had seen no
fresh footprints on the way up (and I was in fact the only person up
there that day), so I knew help would be a while coming -- I had posted
a walk plan and given 8 pm as alarm time to send out searchers. That
meant I needed to go extra carefully over stuff that I wouldn't think
twice about, down at sea level. In this case, there was a steep drop
below me, so I just took my time, leaning in and keeping three limbs
attached at all times. My younger son who is climbing in New Zealand
would have sneered, but I felt safe that way.

What made it truly interesting was that a wedge-tailed eagle had been
circling the peak all morning, and now it was swooping in, about 5
metres over my head as I worked around the face. Of course, as soon as I
rounded the corner and got my camera out, the rotten bird lost interest
and drifted away. So I just kept plodding up the track, wondering if I
really needed all this, and suddenly, I was on top. Well, on the ridge,
and that meant I only had little jump-ups along the ridge to the peak.

It was an almost perfect day for being on top of a mountain -- on
Thursday, as I drove past the mountain from the west, it was wrapped in
cloud, but on the Tuesday, I had a perfect monarch-of-all-I-survey view
of the Warrumbungles. I ate salami, cheese and dried apples, I drank
water, I mooched around.

That bloody eagle stayed well up, but kept flying so its shadow passed
over me -- it had to be deliberate. Then a second one came in and flew
wingtip to wingtip, then rolled over and grasped at the first eagle with
its talons, when the two of them dropped, recovered, and did it again.
Mating display or aggression? As far as I could see, they never made
actual contact with their talons.

My knees maintain that they are are elderly, and they had had enough.
Four hours from starting off, I headed back down, each step carefully
placed -- it took me just under three hours. The day wasn't hot, but I
still used two and a bit of the 4 litres of water I took, but in the
end, I never used the bivvy bag (an orange plastic bag large enough to
put broken people in to keep them warm, dry and visible -- I have
carried it for 25 years or more and never needed it yet) or my kiwi
jacket or sweater, or the extra food or the torch and other stuff, but I
needed to carry them as insurance.

The day after, I walked up Mount Harris (named after the surgeon who
gave his name to Harris Street Ultimo and Harris Park, if you are a
Sydneysider), described by a later explorer, Charles Sturt, as a hill
120 feet high, but one of just two rises near the Macquarie River.

John Oxley climbed up that hill-mountain in 1818. He saw the
Warrumbungles (the Arbuthnot Range, he called them) and decided to head
for them. He saw the Great Dividing Range from Mt Exmouth, and decided
to push on to Walcha and then the coast at Port Macquarie. Mt Harris is
north of Warren, and far enough west for the flies to be bad. It was, of
course, the only day that my trusty fly veil was not in the car.
Photography in dense fly swarms is no fun -- but I came back with about
500 pictures, all in large format. It is spring here, and the
wildflowers were out in force, because there has been rain in the west.
Not a lot, but enough.

The area is dead flat, right across the flood-plain, so I was amused at
one point to find a flood-depth indicator in the middle of nowhere,
which would be good in a flood, as it would tell you that you had been
driving in 2 metres of water for the past 5 or 10 kilometres. It is the
sort of country where explorers climb trees or each other's backs in
desperation, seeking the sight of a landmark, any landmark, on the
horizon. There are no 35-metre trees, so a hillock of that height is a
boon -- especially when it reveals an interesting peak, almost 130 km
away. Explorers like distant landmarks that they can take sights on,
because it helps them map their way.

I had not been able to see Mt Harris from Mt Exmouth because it was lost
in the haze, but I could see the Warrumbungles and Mt Exmouth from Mt
Harris. Mr Oxley managed to see each from the other, so he must have
been lucky.

Mt Harris, by the way, is private property, but the owner, John Egan,
kindly gave me permission to walk up it. Apparently they get a few
oddballs making the same request.

I am glad I went up Mt Exmouth, but I probably wouldn't do it again on
my own, and possibly not even in company -- one has to learn one's
limitations with age.

Or maybe one should ignore the limitations and go out in style? Not just
yet -- there are too many Mt Harris-sized small mountains to walk up and
sit on top of. I just need to clarify my internal concept of 'small
mountain' a bit.

Small is beautiful.

peter

   _--|\    Peter Macinnis         petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
  /     \   manufacturer of automated parakeet flensing systems
  \.--._* <-at Manly NSW, the birthplace of Australian surfing
       v    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~macinnis/index.htm