TheBanyanTree: one tear-jerk moment...

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue Sep 13 13:39:08 PDT 2005

(Note: "the concert" alludes to the Green Day concert I took my son and
nephew--almost 15 and 15--to last night in Indianapolis.  More on that when I
have time to write it up.  This is just one thing that happened there.)  --J.

At the concert, the lead singer found kids in the front stage area who played
drums, guitar, and bass.  He had them come up on stage and play simple parts to
a song while he jumped around and sang.  (Andy, my son, who plays guitar and
bass, and Justin, my nephew, who plays guitar, were beside themselves with
wanting to be those kids!) All three of the kids did really great, but the
guitar playing kid was just awesome.  He was a chubby, goofy looking kid from
Kokomo, Indiana.  The kind of kid you see, as a parent, and know that he is
probably judged by his cover and not considered one of the "cool" kids at
school...not the right hair or the right clothes.  He was so happy to be up
there, he ran up to the lead singer and threw his arms around him in a big bear
hug.  Not a cool act, just a totally honest and grateful act.

Then the kid took that guitar and went crazy.  He played the part correctly, ran
all over the stage, jumped up on the drummer's platform, jumped down again with
that classic rock-n-roll, feet-up-and-back-bent-back kind of rock star jump.
You could tell he was getting the opportunity to have the time of his life, and
he was taking it.  The lead singer eventually sent the other kids back off the
stage and yelled to the kid with the guitar, teasingly, "Now give me back my
f*cking guitar!".  (One had to hang with a lot of the F word at this thing,
although their music is not profane, in general.)  The kid ran over with the
guitar and the lead singer started to take it, then shoved it back at him and
said, "Hey, nevermind, you can keep the guitar."  The crowd went nuts.  The kid
was so elated he grabbed the guy and gave him a big bear hug again.  It was a
pretty sweet moment.  I just felt like I'd watched some kid's wildest dream come
true, and it wasn't on a Disney made-for-tv movie.

Julie

 We are no mere writer's support group; we are supporters who write. -- MB

 (Mostly) Daily Dee:  http://www.mugajava.com

 Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/thebanyantree?tag-id=thebanyantree

----- End forwarded message -----