TheBanyanTree: On the Craft

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 12 16:33:27 PDT 2005

You have been outed.  Sure, you said the things many of us have said
when we first began testing the paper or screen waters.  I'm not a
'real' writer, you whispered lest you scare some scrap of talent away
never to return.  Denial works that way, Bub, don't kid a kidder.  I
used to whisper it to myself and shout it to others but the writing just
kept on going and one day I had to admit that for better or worse, I am
a writer.  And so are you.

Bring on your reasons, I know you have a lot of them.  You don't follow
the rules, you aren't trained, it doesn't look someone else's style or
stuff.  Well, thank God, thank God and thank God.  I don't follow a lot
of rules, in fact I have a wicked and sordid love affair with runon
sentences but that doesn't stop me.  Life trained me as well as it has
trained you and there is pride to be taken for not being mistaken for
anyone else.  Being real takes guts which may result in their
unceremonial splat on the windshield of life but at least it becomes
something you own and can claim.  I'd rather own my own splat than
babysit someone else's brass ring.

It comes from the same place humor comes, this love and drive to express
with words.  It is borne without fanfare.  Its parents are pain and
heartache, life's experiences.  Those are the moments that made you look
deeply inward and count the cells of your soul when it was being crushed
and you wondered if there was a ladder going up to match the greased
slide going down.  Putting those thoughts to work for you by arranging
them in your own creative way will help you grab at salvation one rung
at a time.  The ride on the slide...that's easy; don't do what's easy.

It doesn't have to be perfect but I promise, it gets better with time.
The only way to do it is to do it and it's that simple.  Do it for
yourself and then share it.  For that piece of you, that person who
wakes up thinking of phrases and thoughts which could become whole
projects, the necter of another's appreciation of your effort is
ambrosia.  In the moment of their enjoyment breathing stops, hearts
don't need to beat blood and nothing else matters.  Life as you know it
will never be the same once your reader begins to feel life in their
veins and it was you who put it there.

It's addictive.  I should know, I'm a writer.  And I recognize you.

Maria